THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    POI difference 6.5x55, subsitute 156gr for 130gr? anyone...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POI difference 6.5x55, subsitute 156gr for 130gr? anyone...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I am sighted for 130s around 2800, how much will an average load in 156 gr be off in your experience?

Will it hit lower at 100-200 yds, or higher due to longer bore time?

Looking to try some 'heavies' for closer shots on deer/hogs just because.....

Any load recs? Looking to use H4831 or RL22, but I have some RL19 and IMR/H 4350 as well.

Thanks in advance for any Swede shooters replies.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornHave had good results with alot of the slower burning powders including H4831. 45 to 46 grains may work well in your rifle????? with 156grain bullets,but work up to that. The point of impact may fall anywhere; maybe high or low from where you now are sighted in. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
I am sighted for 130s around 2800, how much will an average load in 156 gr be off in your experience?

Will it hit lower at 100-200 yds, or higher due to longer bore time?

Looking to try some 'heavies' for closer shots on deer/hogs just because.....

Any load recs? Looking to use H4831 or RL22, but I have some RL19 and IMR/H 4350 as well.

Thanks in advance for any Swede shooters replies.

All but one of my rifles will shoot higher (walk-up) at 100 yds as the bullet gets heavier or as the powder charge using the same bullet is increased.

However, since one doen't do this, think you're just going to have to load'em and find out what your rilfe does.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray, I have been so busy using 120s to 142 I haven't gotten around to the heavies, but will be in the next day or two.

I figured if I for any reason did not have a chance before taking them afield, an inch or two off under 100 yds would be no problem in the woods on deer/hogs around here, but yes I will shoot a few for POI confirmation.

Thanks, looks like RL22 will light them up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear 6.5BR
My 264 Win Mag shooting the beautiful 140 Sierra Gameking @ 3100-- hitting 1/2" high @ 200 yds will shoot the 160 Hornady JUST as accurate with the same load as the 140 0nly 2" lower at 200yds and also 1/2" to the right [?]. I checked this in Hawaii 25 years ago prior to a trip to Alaska. The load was 75.3 Grs H-870 and the above bullets. This load was not max in MY rifle but may be in yours! So! Load accordingly and start lower.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Way to broad a question! I shoot 140..156gr in my military rifles, 129..135 in my hunter. What rifle? I load from 87gr to 160gr., but the rifle is key! What is the twist?

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
While we know in theory where it should impact, every rifle is a rule unto itself, and the individual harmonics will be the key determining factor of how the groups print in relation to one another. I've had some rifles which would keep them relatively close together and some that would spread the groups over several inches.

And there was a 1970s vintage Model 70 in .270 WCF that printed Speer 130 grain BTSPs and Sierra 150 grain GameKings to identical POIs out to 200 yards. But, unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Bobby, agreed which is why I asked...Jpat, my Ruger K1A is an 8 twist, it's capable.

I have 20 Lapua cases 2x fired, partial sized and primed, so I am about to load a em up and I will fire a few to check hopefully before I my next outing, if in the evening I can sight before that hunt.

Bohica, mine is a Swede, not so fast, but accurate and deadly none the less.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping you get to try those loads out on something soon (and don't forgoet to post pictures!).

By the way, Re-22 is my favored propellant for the Swede with anything heavier than 120s. It generally gives the ebst combination of velocity and accuracy.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Good to know Bobby, loving my 130ABs, when I run out of I 4350, I think I will p/u 50-100 fps, not that I need it, but if the accuracy remains, I will be in very good shape.

Any idea on a load Bobby for the 156, seems I read 46 grains but is that hot, seems you used 47 under 140s.

Guessing 2500-2550 would be a good goal?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I looked back in my old notes and see I used 45.5 grains Re-22 with the Hornady 160 for 2493 fps from a 26" Van Horn Encore barrel. That was several years ago, though.

My Hodgdon's #26 (older manual) shows 47 grains Re-22 as a max with 160s and 49 grains as a max with 140s. Later loading manual versions show lower max charges -- lower by several grains.

I'd start around 42 grains of Re-22 and work up from there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Update on that load:

I used the 45.5 grains Re-22 in Rem brass.

I used 44.8 in Lapua brass to get virtually the same velocity.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks much Bobby, I appreciate your taking the time to look that up sir.

My buddy has shot 1 hog, caught 5 in traps, 4 in one trap at the same time, since then had 11-12 in one photo, hard to tell, but his game camera's are giving him alot of fun, and we will be trying to reduce this growing population on his property.

I killed the first ever killed there 3 years ago and they have been multiplying rapidly.

I hope to run a 156 into one yet....will post photos when that happens. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Update, chambered said load Bobby, this am, but the deer I saw need to get older/bigger and no hogs this am, so later when I checked POI, with 130AB about 2" high at 100, the 156 shot a full 2" low and 1" left at 50 yds, doubt it would have missed at woods ranges, but the load follows a different POI for sure.

I'll be interested in getting a Chrony on it sometime. Still want to drill something with it. Doubt much in my neck of the woods can stop it Wink

Just always goes w/o saying one must shoot a load or it's a crapshoot, which is why years ago I took my 243 #1 Ruger RSI chambered with 70 TNTs, it's what was used on last sight in and I KNEW where it was hitting, valuing that w/shot placement over a better bullet not knowing POI w/o being able to confirm before the hunt, so as luck had it, my target of opportunity was a doe at 40 yds, nearly took her head off, knowing the TNT would blow on impact. Dead RIGHT then! Glad my shot came close as was around some open country.

If I do drill a deer/hog this season w/this 156 load I will report back.

Hope all are having a great and safe season.