THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone shooting a 6.5/300 WSM?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shooting a 6.5/300 WSM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
Very seriously considering having a barrel chambered for 6.5/300 WSM. Anyone shooting one of these?

Looking for loading info and long range reports. Going to drop the rifle off with smith this week for him to check the action and see if it's worth doing.

It's already a WSSM, so it's the same bolt face, and I don't care about mag length, since I'll be singe feeding it anyway for long range prarie dogs.

Looking at a non-taper 30" Hart barrel and having the die cut with same reamer, wanting a slight tight neck chamber to maybe turn off couple thousanths of case necks.

Anyone shooting one?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner and I both have 6.5-WSMs with extra barrels in .338 WSM. Why? Our gunsmith had the reamers and we wanted something differen. We had two Rem 700 short actions, his righ-hand, mine a lefty. The rifles are for hunting, look identical except for bolts, and shoot far better than we expected.
PM me and I'll send you some load data.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Dropped by the smith today, says action is fine for build. Wants to use Kreiger barrel, as that's all he uses and says they're top quality. Are Kreigers ok, or should I look elsewhere for a Hart bbl?

Cost is about the same either way and I'm not really looking for "cheaper", just high quality, low fouling and easy cleanup.

?

I may post this in the gunsmith forum, but I'm NOT looking to start a brand name fight...

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never actually heard anything "bad" about Krieger or Hart....or Lilja, Shillen, Douglas,or Pac-Nor haha. About the only barrel I've heard is hohum unless you just want a quick cheap rebarrel project is Adams & Bennet. Not a bad idea to go with what your 'smith likes, if he is using what he thinks is the best its probably for a good reason.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieger barrels are one of the finest available. I'd actually say they are superior to Hart IMO.
Go with that smith if that is your decision maker.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I will be anxious to hear how this caliber does for you. I am planning on having a .25 Pronghorn built up. It's the .25 WSM mate to your 6.5 WSM.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I'll be happy to keep you updated on the project. The only down side is my smith says there's a 4 month wait right now for Krieger barrels. I'll definately post up pictures and range reports when I get it up and running.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're doing nothing but necking a .270wsm down, search for 6.5 Leopard. Jim Carmichael did an article about this wildcat and put his name on it. Reloadersnest also has load info for a few different barrel lengths under 6.5/300wsm and 264wsm. Cartridges of the world 11 has some starting data in the wildcat section

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks MHS,

I'll look those sources up. I also have a friend on another forum (wssmzone) that gave me some load info from Quickload. I definately have some info to start with now. Now it's just the long wait for the finished project.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith has built some of them and he shoots one himself .. He origanily used a 9" twist but it wouldn,t stabilise the long VLD type bullets so he went to an 8 1/2" twist .. I think he shoots 62 gr H1000 with a 142gr Match King bullet for his 1 hole groups ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote