New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 ackley hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted asking for info re this a while ago. Now my certificate is up for renewal I thought I might try and do this cheaply...

The plan was to launch a light bullet as quietly as poss for zero richochets and as little noise as possible.

I had thought of the 17ackley in a ruger no1

Should I be able to get 3,800fps with a 20gr Vmax in a 24" barrel? Will it be difficult to get accurate (say 1/2")and are cases difficult to form? The MKIV going on Saeeds data seemed a little too much but if it's easier I would go that route.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<BLH>
posted
Should I be able to get 3,800fps with a 20gr Vmax in a 24" barrel?
YEP
Will it be difficult to get accurate (say 1/2")
NOPE
and are cases difficult to form?
NOPE
Brooks

<jim saubier>
posted
Brooks is right on all accounts but I might add some advice. If you are choosing to use the Ruger #1 action and haven't already picked up one for use - then you might consider getting one that is chambered in .218 bee and then having it rebarreled to .17 ackley bee or .17 Hebee. Just a little less work because the extractor will be the same. I don't think that the #1 is offered in anything less than the .218 bee and modification would be necessary for case extraction. With a 20" barrel, I am able to safely launch the 20 grain bullets at 3900 fps with my Hebee. I have a 21" 17 hornet barrel that I haven't shot yet to give real velocities - but I have a 10" .17 Hornet barrel that shoots the 20 grain bullets at 3200+ fps. It also has quite the bark for such a little round.

www.saubier.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Unfortunately the Bee will just not exist over here. I had also though 77/22. The trouble with all this is that it is all going to add up to twice the price of a new Tikka 17 rem that I know is very accurate straight out the box..... I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't go that route and instead work up some lower power 20gr loads with blue dot to try to keep the noise down? Then again 30gr VLDs might be rather fun for long range crows!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
1894 , I agree with Jim Saubier , since I own a .17 Ackley Bee too. It is easy to form and you don`t loose too many cases while necking them down , the Hornet is much more fragile in this aspect !Of course the .17 Remington is the easiest way to go , but this one is a real banger for its caliber !
(I have one of these too , I know the difference)But besides all this , a wildcat is a wildcat , it is a joy to have - Be different !!

one of us
posted Hide Post

IMHO, the T/C Encore may be the way to go with this project. The Encore will have no problem functioning with the Hornets rimed case and would probably be a cheaper gun to build in the long run. ($270 for a frame and $330 for a custom chambered shilen barrel from Virgin Valley.) Plus....lets face it, a 17 hornet (as with all 17's) has only a very specialized use. With an Encore you can get barrels (Not hammer forged factory crap) in other calibers for much less than the cost of a new factory rifle.

Just a thought

J.W.

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I must own up to time wasting. I went to the local gun shop today to look at a second hand 77/22hornet for conversion and there on the rack was the HB Sako 222rem I missed out on when it was new 2 years ago. Still looked brand new and cheap. Add in the easy availability of dies brass and bullets and I'm afraid my joining the 17 club may have to be put off until I shoot the barrel out...

<jim saubier>
posted
Can't blame you for picking up that one either. The .17 caliber club will wait, but you won't be able to experience the advantages for some time now. Wear out that barrel, and rebarrel in .17 Javelina, or .17 Mach IV, or .17 Remington, well you get the idea.

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I dont know if it is possible, but before you wear out the barrel on the 77/22 you might ask a gunsmith in their forum, if this is a rifle that can be made into a switch barrel. If has the barrel threaded, it should be possible. And the stuff to spin those off is not expensive nor difficult to operate.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M