New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Long Range Rig!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got in most of my parts to build my Stevens 200 into a long range varmint and steel machine. I tried to stick with a chambering I already reload for and that is how I kind of settled on the .243 for this build.

Right now Sitting on my bench for my build:

Striped Stevens CF Action
Savage M12 stock (I'm hoping to upgrade to a Medalist soon.)
Kevin Rayhill tactical bolt knob and recoil lug
SSS Competition Trigger
McGowen 26" Varmint Contour 1:7 twist barrel
Burris XTR two piece base (I'm waiting for a 20 MOA EGW to come in.)
Leupold medium QRW rings
Weaver Tactical Grand Slam 3-10X40 scope

A large tax bill kind of made me have to compromise on a few items at the moment mainly the scope I wanted. However if thing work out I should be ringing the steel past 600 yards without too much trouble. I hope to get is assembled in the next couple of weeks and have some pictures and range reports soon.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
That will be a nice inexpensive rig. What bullets will you be shooting? The 115 DTACs will be very nice if you can get them to shoot. Should be able to get 2900 fps with them in a 26" barrel if your throat isn't too short.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well looks like McGowen screwed up. I can't get the barrel nut or receiver to thread onto the barrel. Looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow to send the barrel back. Might switch to an 8 twist as they have them on hand. I waited three months to get the 7 twist barrel.

I did plan on running the heavies starting at 105 grains. I saw that Berger and DTAC were offering 115 grain bullets so I asked for the fast twist in case I tried running them. I figured it might not be long until a couple other companies started offering 115 grain bullets as well.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIs the barrel deep throated? Still time if you are sending it back. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
Roll EyesIs the barrel deep throated? Still time if you are sending it back. popcornroger

I asked for it to throated to handle 115 grain bullets. I haven't measured the throat yet. Savage-barrels has already contacted me and wants the barrel back to check it out. They have promised me to have it back ASAP or replace it with new one.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

I asked for it to throated to handle 115 grain bullets. I haven't measured the throat yet. Savage-barrels has already contacted me and wants the barrel back to check it out. They have promised me to have it back ASAP or replace it with new one.

Does that mean the rear of the bullet will not be pushed into the powder room? fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I cant' answer your question for sure. I packaged up the barrel today and am awaiting a call tag for UPS. I'm hoping I don't eat too much powder room if I run the 115's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Throat it out and put a benchrest follower in it and make it a single shot.. then you should be fine.

I built a 6mm Rem on a long action, to shoot bullets like the 115 grain Berger...in a long action it is a different animal..

MV with a 115 grain Berger is 3250 fps with a 24 inch barrel.

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The bottom one here is a left handed Savage (110) in 243 with a Sharpshooter Supply stock, lug and Competition trigger.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12566 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got a reply from Savage-barrels.com today and it didn't give me the warm fuzzy I was hoping for. So here is the email traffic.

quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: products@savage-barrels.com
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:13 AM
Subject: Barrel Problems

Jon,

I recently got a .243 Win 1:7 twist small shank Savage pre-fit from you. Well my action I was going to build this rifle on finally came in this week. Yesterday I went to install the barrel and I couldn't get the barrel nut nor the receiver to thread on. The threads just don't seem to match up. Do you want me to send the barrel back to you or should I take it to a gunsmith to figure out what the problem is exactly first? I don't have any way of measuring the thread pitch at home to see if that is the problem.

Thanks,

Chad

quote:
Chad,

Let me talk with McGowen tomorrow. I am sure that they will pay to have it picked up and then make the assessment on what might be wrong.

Thanks,

Jon

quote:
Chad,

Below is the response from McGowen on your thread issue. If you don't feel comfortable doing this procedure, maybe your gunsmith can help.

Let me know if this is satisfactory.

Thanks,

Jon

----- Original Message -----
To: Products@Savage-Barrels.com
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 8:00 AM
Subject: Re: Barrel Problems

Here is what I tell them when I get these problems. McGowen cuts their threads to the high side of the thread tolerance. The reason that they do this is because we have to make barrels not only for new actions, but older ones also. This ensures that the threads are not sloppy. The easiest fix is to take some emory cloth and wrap around the threads and take the high side of the threads off. Just wrap the sandpaper around the threads and roll the barrel back and forth with even pressure. This will take the threads down at the peaks. Do this for a few minutes, try it on the receiver and then if it doesn't fit do it again until they fit.

Dan

Does this sound like it will really fix my problem?

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
That might fix it if the problem is a a tight fit. I would check the thread count per inch first. If that matches then take it to a machine shop and chuck it in a lathe. Doing it on a lathe will keep it round and centered. Take the action with you. This is simple and easy they shouldn't charge a arm and a leg to do it.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
This isn't the McGowan I did business in the early 60s. You are getting shabby treatment. Taking the peeks off the threads isn't going to be the right solution. flameroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This isn't the McGowan I did business in the early 60s. You are getting shabby treatment. Taking the peeks off the threads isn't going to be the right solution. flameroger

I took it in today to have a gunsmith chase the threads and get it to match my action. I should have it back next week.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:

I took it in today to have a gunsmith chase the threads and get it to match my action. I should have it back next week.

tu2roger beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my barrel back, it now screws into the action and the barrel nut works properly. My GS said the valley of the threads wasn't cut deep enough. So no amout of sanding with emery cloth would have threaded this barrel to my action. Should put some pictures up this weekend.