THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Hornady 6.5 creedmoor ammo question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 6.5 creedmoor ammo question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any thoughts on this ammo ? My blaser 6.5 creedmoor barrel is being set up for this ammo for deer season.

143 grain eld-x bullet

https://www.academy.com/shop/p...ain-rifle-ammunition

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is only a sample size of one; but, my son used it last fall for deer. 143 yards quartering towards us. Deer ran 20 yards and piled up. Bullet exited.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not specific to this ammunition, but Hornady is the only factory ammunition with which I have experienced significant problems.

In one instance it was clearly generating extremely high pressures. In another instance about one-third of all cartridges in the box refused to fire (while the same gun fired any and all other ammunition with perfect consistency and accuracy.)

Considering how rarely I use factory ammunition, and in fact, these two instances are the ONLY Hornady ammunition I have ever used, the percentage of sub-par ammunition seems very high in this brand.

I'm sure that others' mileage may vary.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady is consistently the most accurate factory ammo available, and I have never had one fail to fire in any caliber. I will confess that while I do reload, I fire a lot of factory ammo. I have friends that do deer control work with a 6.5CM and the 143 ELD-X is their go to bullet.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot several deer with the Hornaday 120grain GMX ammo with terrific results.
I’ve only shot paper with Hornaday 143 grain ELDX.

My son and I have shot 1500+ rounds of Hornaday factory ammo and have never experienced any issues. The most accurate factory ammo I’ve shot out of either one of my 6.5 CM‘s has been Hornaday 120 grain Amax

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Not specific to this ammunition, but Hornady is the only factory ammunition with which I have experienced significant problems.

Same here, with their 17 Hornet and 17HMR.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5CM Kimber really likes Fusions

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used that bullet (143 ELD-X) on a nice mule deer buck last year with good results. The distance was a bit longer than most will shoot so I experience decent but not dramatic bullet-upset. Complete pass-through.
It was a load of my own and not a factory round.

I'll be trying the Accubond long range 129 grain pill this year since they gave me slightly better groups from my rifle and the speed might promote a bit more dramatic results.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of Hornady products, dies, brass, bullets; never had an issue with any of it.
I am trying 7mm eldx bullets right now.
If I ever had a FTF, I would suspect and inspect the rifle.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as much as I really don't like the 6.5 creedmoor cartridge. my brother-in-law has one in a ruger American predator ' green stock ' after I broke it in. I am getting .750 groups at 100 yards with 44.0 grains of IMR4350 , hornady brass, fed. 210 primer, 120 sierra,

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
One of my friends really likes that load in his Weatherby Vanguard.
He has taken deer to 721 yards with it.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend took a Mule deer at close to 400yds and a Desert Big horn at approx. the same distance with the precision hunter ammo in 6.5 Creedmor. Single shots were all that was needed. Both bullets were found on the offside just under the skin.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have fired about 100 rounds of 140 grn HPBT with good accuracy.

Wish I could help on the ELDx but doubt I ever buy any of it but intend to one day load the bullet

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote