Find
Notify
Tools

Easy 6.5mm-06 Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I was thinking it would be neat to have a nice light weight 6.5-06 running a really hot 140 or 160 grain load.

I had thought of building one (still may to get a #1 contour barrel), but then thought "Why don't I just buy a factory 6.5mx55 and rechamber it."

Anyone see any issues with this? The Tikka and Sako both have long enough actions on their 6.5's to do this (Tika would be the least expensive option).

Other recommended brands? Would really like a 24" barrel.

Would a M96 action be strong enough to handle HOT loads approaching 55K-60K PSI? Probably not, huh?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Seeing as the case head of the 6.5x55 is larger than an '06, it wouldn't be the best to rechamber, unless swelled caseheads appeal to you. The 6.5x65 would be a lot closer in size.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyesanother option would be ; get the 6.5x55 and rechamber it to 6.5x.284. You should already have deep throated enough from the 6.5 x55 chambering.With the 160 grain bullet seat out you'll achieve 6.5-06 ballistics. flame roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yep, I was worried about the case head issue. Yes, thought about the 6.5x284 as an option.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Or get a 270 and go hunting.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use an American rifle, they built theirs with the same bolt face as the 30-06 for the 6.5x55. Both my Remington and Winchester Featherweight are that way. IMHO, it is just as easy to rebarrel. That way you get a known guality barrel.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I could also buy a 6.5x65 barrel for my Mauser M03.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Husqvarna 4100 that was originally a 6.5x55 and was re-chambered to 6.5/06. Works quite well.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just hand load the 6.5x55-if the action will handle 65.-06 then it will handle hot Swede loads

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case diameter just forward of the rim cut is slightly different, 0.479" for the SAAMI specs 6.5x55 and 0.473" for the 30-06 parent case of the 6.5-06. If I was going to rechamber a 6.5x55 barrel to 6.5-06, I think that I'd cut it back 0.5" and cut a fresh chamber and shank/threads.

I have rechambered a few Winchester/USRA 70 push-feed 6.5x55 Fwt barrels to 6.5-284 with excellent outcomes.

As noted, the 270 Win is an easier, cheaper, way to get 6.5-06 results that would meet the needs of probably 99% of potential users. Lots of people look down their noses at the 270 Win, but it does a great job, does it on the cheap, and does it with factory ammo for the majority of hunters who don't reload.

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
260 has some great comments, advice about the 270 Winchester, my favorite cartridge. I've shot everything from Prairie Dogs to Elk with one, however this is about the 6.5-06, I built one, and have been quite happy with it's performance on paper and game. Any 06 length action will due, and it's an easy chore to send that action to Pac-Nor, or a barrel maker of your choice and have them fit the barrel for you. I will give you one piece of advice though, the SAAMI 6.5-06, is not the same as the 6.5-06 Wildcat. The SAMMI cartridge has a very long throat, about .250, which precludes a shooter from getting close to the lands with the lighter bullets. In order to have the throat set to use all the range of bullets, if that's what you want to do, have your smith chamber and throat in 2 seperate operations.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy a tikka 6.5 x 55 and sight it in you won't change a thing. Ck the 1000 yd shooters velocity seems most get their best accuracy at around 2900 with 140 grain bullets probably achievable in a modern rifle 6.5 x 55. I have several 6.5 calibers including a custom 6.5-06 but when I go hunting I use a swede. but that's just me an ignorant hillbilly.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

How boring, no gun smithing drama and exactly the same performance! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

How boring, no gun smithing drama and exactly the same performance! Wink

Some people want the "Drama" and extra effort even though it accomplishes nothing.

the most "Exotic" rifle I own is my 1943 vintage M38 Husqvarna 6.5x55.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
If you use an American rifle, they built theirs with the same bolt face as the 30-06 for the 6.5x55. Both my Remington and Winchester Featherweight are that way. IMHO, it is just as easy to rebarrel. That way you get a known guality barrel.

tu2

I have a nice SS M70 in 270 Win that wears a Micky stock, however, I really want a 6.5-06. Hard to justify that project, but I often think about it...for thirty seconds.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote