Find
Notify
Tools

85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted
Is anyone here using the 85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in your .25-06? If so, how deep are you seating
them, and what does your OAL turn out to be? What powder/grains gives your best accuracy?
My rifle is the 112 in the VLP model (no longer made). It is very accurate with 75gr V-Max bullets
but can't find any, and a couple guys with other calibers said they get their best accuracy with
lighter bullets with Nosler Ballistic Tips. Thanks!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 25-06 I wound up using an overall length of 3.20 inches with the 85 grain Ballistic Tip.

A load of 56 grains of IMR 4831 was my favorite, giving about 3500 fps and groups under 3/4 inch. A load of 53 grains of H 4350 gave nearly identical performance.

However, I do not use that bullet any longer. IN MY OPINION, Nosler screwed it up! It used to be a hell of a bullet. We used it on everything from ground squirrels to deer and black bear. Then Nosler made it a pure "varmint" bullet. It will blow up on anything! (They changed the jacket and the size of the hollow point behind the plastic tip.)

I shot two coyotes on the same morning that were feeding on a dead calf. Both were shot right on the point of the shoulder with the 85 grain Ballistic Tip. Both had to be shot again because all they had were hideous surface wounds, those bullets never got to the vitals.

I switched to the 75 grain Hornady V-Max with much better results.

Due to local (Dumb ass) regulations, I am now going to try the 80 grain Barnes Tipped TSX on coyotes. My gun shoots them well and at 3600 fps.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote