Find
Notify
Tools

Roberts AI,
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Gunsmith has a cool Rifle, i want,
Its a 257 Roberts AI, Built on a Small ring Mexican Mauser, i have done the AI before, and i don't think i would build one again but no reason to pass one one already made.
The AI does not make a huge difference in velocity, but it does boost it some,
I think i just might buy it, he has dies, i could buy it next saturday, and take a box of hornady factory ammo i have and fire for 20 cases.
I might change my mind but probably will be writing on it next weekend. ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one for his wife that is a shooter. The AI's give a small boost in powder capacity but make the part I like is that they reduce the case trimming chore. I have a 7x57AI and 06 AI. Good luck with your possible purchase

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjroberts:
My Gunsmith has a cool Rifle, i want,
Its a 257 Roberts AI, Built on a Small ring Mexican Mauser, i have done the AI before, and i don't think i would build one again but no reason to pass one one already made.
The AI does not make a huge difference in velocity, but it does boost it some,
I think i just might buy it, he has dies, i could buy it next saturday, and take a box of hornady factory ammo i have and fire for 20 cases.
I might change my mind but probably will be writing on it next weekend. ...tj3006

Since there is no danger of the A.I case being chambered in 257 Rob action that may be of dubious strength, in a modern action with sufficient metallurgy like the Mexican Mauser, there's no reason the 257 A.I can't be loaded to the same pressure as 6mm Rem or 270 Win.

Once that is brought to the game, the 257 A.I, will have a significant advantage over standard or even +P 257 Rob loads.

Speaking from my own personal experience with the 8mm-06 A.I., the sharp shoulder angle and minimal case taper will also increases case life virtually eliminating the need for case trimming even when loaded to higher pressure..

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat Junkie,
You are correct about the pressure But my .257 Roberts, is modern and i load as near as i can guess to modern pressures. i have another Roberts i load to pluss p only cause its built on a low numberd springfield, 03...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tjroberts:
Wildcat Junkie,
You are correct about the pressure But my .257 Roberts, is modern and i load as near as i can guess to modern pressures. i have another Roberts i load to pluss p only cause its built on a low numberd springfield, 03...tj3006

Good point. It's good to see others loading older cartridge designs up to their potential in modern actions. The increased case life for the A.I. still applies.

My next project will be a 257 Roberts A.I. built on a Mexican Mauser.

I picked up an action a few years ago from an AR forum member. I was going to do a 6.5 x 55 Swede on it but I recently came into some 257 Rob headspace gauges.

Once I found that E.R. Shaw makes barrels for the 257 IMP I changed my mind.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote