Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Caseless Telescoped .270 Wink

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes probably close to 270 , 30% lighter than 7,62 NATO with brass case. Better for penetration of body armor than 7,62 and 5,56 and better for medium range snipers.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So, a 6.8 pushing a 130-grain bullet at 3,000 sure lets the 6.8 SPC out of the running. What round are they specifying -- one that has not yet been developed?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Why didn't they just use a 6.5mm?

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly 270-08?
Sweet. On my list of favorite wildcats.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"What round are they specifying"

They have developed a new round semi secret.
It may be something like this.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-6-8mm-magnum-round/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...uad-automatic-rifle/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Invented around 80 years ago - 270 Savage.
Necking down the .308 would be a logical strategy. But why not just use the 260 Remington? Even better as a medium range sniper round.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
Invented around 80 years ago - 270 Savage.
Necking down the .308 would be a logical strategy. But why not just use the 260 Remington? Even better as a medium range sniper round.

It was called the 270 Titus if memory serves, named after the developer.

As to 270 over 6.5, I have read that the team that developed the 6.8 SPC tested calibers from 25 to 30, deciding on 27 as the best compromise. Not being an expert ballistic engineer I can't say if they were right or wrong. I do know from personal experience the 6.8 SPC is a potent little cartridge.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hmm, wonder if the True Velocity polymer cases will be biodegradable.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be telescoping ammo...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.270 British the round which were developed for FAL and CETME in the 1940s but US wanted .308 in a wood stocked rifle instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.270_British

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Hmm, wonder if the True Velocity polymer cases will be biodegradable."

Probably in a 200y perspective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yanks trying to push another failed NATO cartridge?

First they failed with the 7.62x51
Then they failed with the 5.56x45
Now.. a .270 whatever?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nortman
So what would you suggest they go with ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x47 Lapua
or
7x47 Lapua

Then tweak shoulder angles to insure perfect feeding in a MG.

A small difference in shoulder angle does not deteriorate accuracy that much, but the case capacity is about perfect for the 6.5-7mm projectiles.

I am a big believer in the MG should be the weapon that does most of the fighting, while the infantry is there for protecting and supplying the MG with ammunition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I should say that the newest body armor coming in a few years, there are no current bullets able to penetrate it.

So, the bullets would either have to have very high velocity and hard bullets.. or hit where there is no body armor or use explosives.

Fighting against 3rd world nations is not a problem... but when 1st world nations starts to field newest body armor, nothing out there will penetrate it.

So either flechette rounds, massive amounts of harassment fire or pin point explosives either air burst or shape charged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"So, the bullets would either have to have very high velocity and hard bullets.. or hit where there is no body armor or use explosives."

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

Should do the trick.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chinese pre WW2 had a 6.8 also on the x57 case . Interesting concept it was .

was mr Rigby before a pc crash

Posts: 158 | Location: Kristiansand, Norway | Registered: 05 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7 X 57 with 140 gr and quit fooling around with concepts of the imagination.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so they are reinventing the 280 British which was also proposed/made for trial in 27 and in 30 caliber as the NATO round waay back when.

the U.S. shot it down for the 308.
pretty much 'not invented here' syndrome kicking in.

and here we are looking for the same round handed to them, with all the testing done for them, 70 years ago.
typical.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"so they are reinventing the 280 British which was also proposed/made for trial in 27 and in 30 caliber as the NATO round waay back when."

Yes and 60 years ago the US military was supposed to buy FAL as the NATO AR then europe accepted the 7,62*51, but the US military manufactorers didn`t let their congressmen accept it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I should say that the newest body armor coming in a few years, there are no current bullets able to penetrate it.

rotflmo

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should I say, in a man portable, automatic fire capable rifle, light enough to be carried all day and night, with recoil light enough that standard troops can fire hundreds of rounds accurately and last thousands of rounds?

Level IV armor is immune to steel cored .30 cal, at any range today.

Level V is a decade away?

Tungsten is not a reliable option for penetrators.. so another material?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the proposed specs this is not a reinvention of the British post WW II .280 which was more in line with the AK 7.62X39 or the 7.92 Kurz. The proposal would be the equivalent of the .270 and is basically a full power round. Recoil would be much greater, more in line with the .308.

It would also be really difficult to call either the 7.62x51 or 5.56 cartridges failures as attested by over 50 years of sterling service by both. There is no such thing as a perfect combat rifle or cartridge, however, modern improvements in body armor seems to be dictating a return to a full power round.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a big believer in the MG should be the weapon that does most of the fighting, while the infantry is there for protecting and supplying the MG with ammunition.

I have big problems with your doctrine; have you studied modern combined arms doctrine? Either conventional or non-conventional? The mission of the Infantry is not to supply anyone with ammunition.
We already have automatic weapons for every soldier, although they are converted to 3 shot burst; a very bad idea.
As for the 6.8, trust me when I say that the Infantry School is filled with wanna be small arms experts who espouse all manner of nonsense.
I predict that it will not come to fruition for several reasons.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the Brit P14 was developed around a .28 caliber but WWI got in the way and it was modified to .303. Millions of rounds laying around. And the Garand was designed around a .27 caliber but again, a war got in the way and the warehouses were full of .30/'06... Oh wellll....