THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Using magnum primers in 22 Hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using magnum primers in 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a bunch of CCI Magnum small rifle primers and am in the process of loading up a couple hundred 22 Hornets. Should I use these or standard sm rifle primers?

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
Stay with the regular primers they burn more uniform and you won't have to use different loads. Good Luck

<Sparticus>
posted
I had good luck with Rem 9 1/2 benchrest. They seem to be real consistant. Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well having had quite a bit of experience with the .22 Hornet , i would most certainly suggest you use CCI 500 (small pistol primer). I can simply not tell you what a difference in accuracy this makes . I tried small pistol mag primers with absolutely terrible results last week. If you would like to search for my posts regarding primer selection on the reloading forum , you would get some good advice regarding the hornet from the guys that posted on my questions.

Good shooting, good luck

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
I've gotten best accuracy with my Ruger 77/22VHZ using regular old Federal #100 small pistol primers and Hodgdon's Lil'Gun powder. I've tried every flavor of small rifle primer, and most small pistol primers, too.
Regards, George.

<eldeguello>
posted
Have had a lot of accuracy problems with the .22 Hornet, with regular small rifle primers. Will try the small pistol primers and see what this does.

<bearmanmt>
posted
Deputy,
I have had a K-Hornet for years. After thousands of rounds I have found that my rifle likes Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers. These are supposed to be the coolest primers available.
I use AA 1680, the small Remington pistol primers and a 50gr bullet. I am getting over 2900fps with no pressure or pierced primers.
I would not recommend using the mag primers as my experience suggests that is real easy to OVER IGNITE the small quantities of powder in the Hornet/K-Hornet with very eratic results both with pressure and accuracy.
Hope this helps.
The Bearman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I have lots to try out. I think that I have to try the lil' gun powder too. They advertise a bonus 200 fps for the save weight as other powers. COOL!

Thanks again, Jay

Posts: 241 | Location: Grand Rapids, Mi, usa | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
On eneeds weaker, not stronger, primers in the .22 Hornet. Sparticus, how did you use Rem. 9 1/2 benchrest primers in the .22 Hornet?? All the .22 Hornet cases I've seen have SMALL primer pockets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just out shooting my Ruger Hornet this past Friday to determine the same, though I did not try pistol primers. These are the results, average of four five shot groups at 100 yards using 13.5 grs of Lil Gun and the Sierra 40gr HP. The CCI 450 went 1.2", CCI 400 went 1.4", Rem 7 1/2 BR went 1.5" and the CCI BR-4 went 1.6". So for me, the magnum primer grouped best.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote