Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .25 wssm
 Login/Join

posted
This thread proves that you cannot satisfy everybody all the time. Winchester advertises the fact that the 25 WSSM is meant to duplicate the 25-06 basically in a shorted loaded round so functions in a much shorter action... Good things for people like myself that like short and light rifles.
Many want the 25 WSM. But would it be a barrel burner? I would think it would be overbore much like the 243 WSSM, correct?? I think that would be the first complaint heard. We have the 257 Weath., if you want more speed than the 25 WSSM it is the next logical step up.
We shooters will never be satisfied with any offering. We will always find some shortcoming, that is what keeps the arms industry alive and kicking . We want more and different.
Just my 2 cents adjusted for inflation!
gregH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my take on this, but I don't think the 25WSM if it ever developes, would seal the fate of the 25/06. Shooters don't just drop guns they have in droves to pick up something that won't outperform them by a considerable margin. I've heard that the 25WSM is never going to happen because of barrel life issues. I know, I know all the modern metalurgical advancements, should make it possible, but that's what the rumor from Winchester is. The 25/06 and the 257R have been doing their respective things for many years and won't die easily. I have a 25/06 and am looking for a nice 257R to replace one I traded. I may even find a way to end up with it back. They are both marvelous rounds. The 25WSSM cannot outdo the 25/06, and the minimal amount of weight saved is not worth any trading of guns. If the 257R is reloaded, it comes close to the 25/06 with less powder and muzzle blast, so it's a sweetheart. I would imagine the short barreled 25WSSM will be quite loud and bothersome.
I wish all the cartridges good sales, but to say that the 257R and 25/06 are, or will be, dead is a pretty long stretch.

posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Noone has said the 25 Wssm is better or that one should trade off his existing guns. This is just an alternative to some of us that don't yet own a 25 , and want something light and relatively powerful. All the 25's have their place and none should die in my opinion. Now we just have another choice. Hope my choice of the new 70 Featherweight is a good one. I may wish I had listened to you guys and just bought a 25-06 or had a 25-284 built. I guess time will tell, wish me luck!
GregH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg- the 25WSSM is no more of a barrel burner than a standard 243 Win. they use the same amounts of powder the WSSM at higher pressures which increeases wear, but the 243 is in a smaller bore which increases wear. You will enjoy the results when hunting with you 25WSSM and I think it will increase your interest in having other 25 caliber rounds. I just wish that the ad campains and the "experts" who write in the magazines would stop all the BS and just write the facts- they will speak for themselves. I have personal issues about the 25WSSM and that will never change. I won't repeat in this post as you can read about it in the other about the 25WSSM post. I think you will find the 115CT is more like a varmint bullet than a big game bullet when shooting at less than 200-250 yards, beyond that it performs less violently. I have had excellent results with the 120gr Speer spbt ant the 117 Hornady btspt- All of the 100gr bullets I have used haved performed very well on deer and one of my favorite is the Horn 100 sp interlock. The 100 Nosler BT will give results like the 115CT. I have yet to use any of the "premium" bullets, because I haven't seen the need. Between my 3 25cal rifles the total on deer has been over 150 deer, and only 3 have required a 2nd shot- and that was because of placement not terminal performance. Good luck with your rifle.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Thanks for the encouragement. Just hope the rifle quality is what it should be, have heard of some poor quality on most brands these days.
GregH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg- that has been a problem I have a friend in Colorado who has one and he is having problems that seem to be excessive headspace.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of practical application, we would all be better served by a 25-06 serving a 1 in 8.5 inch twist bbl with new bullet weights of 132 and 145 grains. The 145 could be a tough semi-spitzer with the SD of a 175 gr 7MM and the 132 would be a clone of the 6.5 MM 140 grainer with the same SD and BC.

Unlike the 6.5-06, this one would shoot all of the lighter 25 caliber bullets and double as a true varmint rifle. With modern bullet technology, over stabilization is a myth in the hunting field, and many monolithic lightweights are long anyway, adapting well to fast rifling.

With the top end 142 semi-spitzer, we have an Elk rifle with a section density of .313 clipping along at 2800 fps. Seat 'em deep....there is PLENTY of case capacity and a nice long neck. Then seat the shorter varmint bullets out and they all touch the lands at a similar COL. NO European 6.5 has ever been able to do this because their case necks are too short.

Heck, if you want to make money...at least enough to justify the project...make it on a 270 or 280 case. The shoulder would be pushed back enough that the 25-06 would not chamber, giving an even more generous neck. Heck, a slight loss in case capacity would make it a BETTER round as most 25-06 loads have a lot of air in them.

So, which would sell better, the 25-270 or the 25-280?

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote