New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my new Sako in 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well its not exactly new, its a Bofors steel model in an L579. Heavy barrel with the flat fore stock, serial number 42***. Comes with an interesting Lyman peep and the matching front peep. This gun was said to have been made as some sort of biathalon competition gun and came from the factory with the peep? All of the bluing is in great condition, with some small dings in the underside of the butt stock. First one I have seen with the plastic butt plate.
Anyone have a nice Varget load I could try out in this new beauty.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard rumors of this animal. It seems that the original Biathalon was shot with centerfires to simulate winter hunting (or winter combat, as it were.) Nowadays, my impression is that all Biathalon shooting is done with rimfires.

I've never used Varget in a .243, but tend to like a little slower powders, depending on the weight of the bullet you are using. If you are using 80's and lighter, then Varget should do fine. With 100's, I like H-4831.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, any chance you could post a picture or two?? Sounds like a nice rifle!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 39.5gns of Varget behind an 80gn flat base projectile . Velocity around 3300 FPS and very accurate in a good rifle .
The other Varget load that seems to be accurate in a lot of .243's is 42gns behind the 75gn V Max . Velocity 3500 - 3600 FPS .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote