New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 ruger loading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any one that doesn't like BLC 2 or 10X for the .204 . I just ordered a 12LRPV and I want to start gathering components. I would like to shoot 40 gr vmax or 39 bk, if it will shoot them well, if not the 32 gr. List your favorites and how far off the lands you set them if known. Any reloading dies prefered?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the RL-10X and H-4895. I find the BLC2 to be to dirty. For dies you would be best with the redding competition series. I use hornady dies and they are okay as well. Stay away from the RCBS dies as there have been problems with runout. As for how far from the lands, I would not be able to reach the lands in my VLP, so I set my OAL to a point where they are just nice and snug in the shell and in enough to minimize run out. I can get excellent accuracy from all of the available bullets expect for the 40 gr V-max which is around 1" at 100 yds. ( I never did bother trying the 50 gr bergers as you would need a 1 in 9 twist for them). I recently tried the 45 gr hornady soft points and the accuracy was excellent. The 39 gr sierras and the 40 gr noslers fly nice as well. I also use the 35 and 40 gr bergers with excellent results.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
Is there any one that doesn't like BLC 2 or 10X for the .204 . I just ordered a 12LRPV and I want to start gathering components. I would like to shoot 40 gr vmax or 39 bk, if it will shoot them well, if not the 32 gr. List your favorites and how far off the lands you set them if known. Any reloading dies prefered?

Moorepower,

I have spent most of my time and efforts on the 39 gr. Sierra BK. I tried the 32s and they shot well but not as good as the 39s. Also tried the 40 gr. Nosler and the 39s out shot it from the beginning so didn't go any further with them.

The load I am shooting through my FV is 27.6 gr. of IMR 4895, using WW brass and Rem primers. Of course work up to that load although it is not a hot load in my rifle.

Some things from my notes: was shooting WW SR primers and switched to rem primers and the groups shrunk significantly. From 27.3 to 27.6 there was a lot of 1/2 inch groups. Was loading about .006 off the rifling and getting a typical cloverleaf group. Started varying the seating depth and at about .030 off I got a vertical group. At .015 off I got a horizontal group. Tried .020 and that did it. Groups went under 1/2 inch. In a 3 shot group, I usually get 2 touching and one takes it out to 3/10. I am happy with that.

Let us know how that "beast" does. I am interested. Good luck.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent it directly to S&S sporting in Idaho to bluprint recrown and reset headspace, "tight". They do alot of Savage F class rifles and I think this is a good place to get all the potential out of the rifle with a factory barrel.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote