New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm rem from 5.6x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all, just seeing if anyone has doen this or indeed 6mm rem from 6.5x57 headstamped brass?
Basically trying to get away without too much neck turning which I will have to do if formed from 7x57 brass. I wish to use Norma brass hence not using remi or winch 6mm rem brass

Thanks all

z

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z

I'm assuming you have a factory chamber and want thicker neck walls (but not too thick)?

Short answer is yes, it is OK to use 6.5 x 57. Many shooters have used 7 x 57 to get the higher quality Norma or Lapua brass but that has fallen out of favor in the past few years as the quality of Winchester 244 brass has improved greatly. I can't say what Rem brass is like but I have been using WW SUPER for long range Benchrest and it is really good stuff.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should work well.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It will be a custom chamber but a .272/3 neck which with factory brass would mean no-turn. Just trying to save labour. I will bear that in mind about WW Super. Thankyou.

z

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to make 6mm Remington from 5.6x57mm or 6.5x57mm? The 5.6x57 has a hugely thick neck that is going to give you a problem. Also, IF you are trying to go in the other direction, making 5.6x57mm from 6mm Remington, you have a problem too, also because of that thick neck. Sizing 6mm Remington brass in a 5.6x57mm doesn't yield useable brass because the Remington brass necks are too thin, you will have to resize the neck again with a proper .224 die, like from a .22-250 set, to get the necks squeezed down small enough to hold a .224 bullet. The 5.6x57mm is a frustrating round to load.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zaitsev:
Thanks guys. It will be a custom chamber but a .272/3 neck which with factory brass would mean no-turn. Just trying to save labour. I will bear that in mind about WW Super. Thankyou.

z

All I have ever used in my Shilen 6mm is WW SuperX brass. It has always worked great for me and the gun will shoot a 5 shot singel ragged hole, usually in the 3's.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tx6BR:
quote:

z

All I have ever used in my Shilen 6mm is WW SuperX brass. It has always worked great for me and the gun will shoot a 5 shot single ragged hole, usually in the 3's.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey all, just seeing if anyone has doen this or indeed 6mm rem from 6.5x57 headstamped brass?
Basically trying to get away without too much neck turning which I will have to do if formed from 7x57 brass. I wish to use Norma brass hence not using remi or winch 6mm rem brass

Thanks all

z

Oh, I thought you meant 5.6X57 RWS, which has alot thicker brass than the 6.5X57mm.....

Of course, if you were to expand a 5.6X57mm case to 6mm, the neck would thin out a little. But it might still require turning to thin it further.

Also, I suspect the 5.6X57mm would have less case capacity....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote