New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subsonic 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for info on bullets to load subsonic in a 223 that will expand at 900-950fps and do a decent job on coyotes. Running the sub's though a bolt action 223 with a suppressor for those areas that are crawling with coyotes and you would like to keep calling after the first shot. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try Hornady's "Super Explosive" 55 grain Spire point. I would be careful with this load however. If you slow it down that much you don't have a lot more power than a standard .22 magnum rimfire.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out High Tech Gunworks in Boise Idaho for a universal suppressor that can be used for a 22 lr and the .223. There was an article about the suppressor in one of the more recent military gun magazines with the sound test results. I have one and have used it on a Ruger 10-22, a Ruger pistol 22/45 and my Remington .223. The .223 with the suppressor on moves the bullet impact 1" lower at 100 yds and sound like a 22 lr with loads of 40 grain NBT pushed at 3975 fps.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For over 6 years I have been loading reduced loads [1850 estimate] in my 223 and 22 Hornet.
My load in 223 is 5.6 grains of Unique with a 55 grain bullet.
Get yourself a copy of the Lee SHOOTER program. It has a method of calculating reduced loads, using your full charge powder.
Your requested velocity may cause the bullets to KEY-HOLE.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at some load data this evening that I did, with a subsonic 223 load....

55 grain FMJ, SP and Sierra HP;

Blue Dot; 4 grains: 896 fps
5 grains: 1264 fps, 6 grains 1568 fps

Accuracy was just fine.. recoil was zero....

Rifle: Ruger 77 Mk 2

Primer: Winchester Small Rifle

Load was not position sensitive in the case.. and have had reliable ignition down to 30 degrees on one of these lovely Liquid Sunshine Southern Oregon days....

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
If you reduce the velocity that much, it seems you will lose a lot on terminal energy and bullet stabilization. I would not consider it for varmints over gopher size.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MADISON:
For over 6 years I have been loading reduced loads [1850 estimate] in my 223 and 22 Hornet.
My load in 223 is 5.6 grains of Unique with a 55 grain bullet.
Get yourself a copy of the Lee SHOOTER program. It has a method of calculating reduced loads, using your full charge powder.
Your requested velocity may cause the bullets to KEY-HOLE.

Hi Madison..

What was your Hornet load?

Regards

...Titan