THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone else chrono the 17 Hummer??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else chrono the 17 Hummer??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my 17 HMR and ran a few rounds thru it. I don't want to burn ammo 'cause I won't get anymore for a while, but I shot two each over the chrony while it was up. I shot 2 rounds of the Hornady V-max loads. These read 2628, 2674. I shot two CCI TNT's also. These read 2684, 2687. Rounds where shot thru a Remington 597 LS. I did read that someone else shot thru a chrony and got high speeds like mine and the guys told him his chrony sucked. Just wondering. Mines a Chrony F-1 Master which I think sucks, but I don't think it's 100 fps off.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ, I'm the guy that had the "chrony sucked" readings! Chrony might suck but it was just back from being calibrated from the factory and the .243 and 25-06 loads were wher they should have been and the 17 was shot while letting the barrels cool on the real guns! (22-250 wasn't there but it is a real gun)!!! I will shoot the test over again but one thing I'm convinced of is that CCI SUCKS!!!!!!! As far as 17 HMR goes! That wasn't my first test as far as accuracy goes but was my first one to use the chronograph! Have now done 3 different days in 3 different conditions over 10 groups compared/per manufacturer and CCI is the worst!!! Worst velocity and worst accuracy! If the chronograph was wrong by a 100fps, what does it matter? Dead is Dead!!! As long as I hit the groundhog in the head or neck! Still have to shoot a live varmint with the CCI to make a final judgement! But it better resemble a 22-250 if they want some good press!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ran 6 each of both the Hornadys and the CCIs thru my PACT, and the Hornadys seemed to be right about as advertised with a fairly decent ES.The CCIs were a diferent story,with some extremely high velocities,inaccurate as hell, and an ES around 350.I only had one box of each,I don't know if I had an extremely bad box but I won't buy any more.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chrono'd the CCI's and Hornady's yesterday. It was close to 65 degrees, I shoot a CZ 452 Varmint with a 21 inch tube, crono is an Oehler 35P set about 12 feet out from muzzle. The Hornady's were 2,530ish the CCI's were 2,580ish. Hotter temps the crono closer probably raise it a little, as would a longer barrel. Who care's, I average a little under 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at a 100 yards, which I find amazing for a $369.00 rimfire , very effecient rat smacker, I love it! My experience is the CCI's are slightly more accurate (slightly!!!) the Hornady's pop em better.Good shooting to all.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Mexico spring winds are killing me for groups, but I don't think mine are near an inch at 100 yards. I did float the barrel on the 597 as it was pressured from the factory. Are the Remington's out yet??? I probably shot thru the chrony at 6 feet, but don't think that'd make 100 fps diff.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Jenkins--- Very interesting, I just went to that bullberry site, What they got with their 21 inch barrel was spot on what I got. I thought maybe my barrel was a bit slow, but as I said in my post,"Who cares?". Great round.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote