One of Us
posted
Can someone explain the difference(s) between 222 remington and 223 remington

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whizzbang:

The 223 case is .060" longer than the 222. The 223 has a shorter neck and a longer body giving it greater case capacity than the 222. Shoulder angles are the same, 23 degrees. If it makes sense, think of the 223 as a 222 RemMag with a short neck. Hope this helps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

WinkAbout 200 ft/sec. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as far as I'm concerned, 200 fps ain't sqaut when you come right down to it. The 222 will do just about anything the 223 will. Usually a bit better in the accuracy dept also, although many will argue that point. I can say this because I have 2 222's and no 223's, don't really see the need.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And...buying 223 milsurp brass for $20 per thousand.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Last I heard, the record benchrest accuracy record was still held by a 222. The 223 can also be very accurate. I'd say, as others have noted, the big advantage to the 223 is cheap ammo; in my opinion the extra power isn't that much of an advantage.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys
I saw that CZ chambers some rifles for both and was wondering if there was a big difference.
It seems that there isn't but I guess there must be a demand for both

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks guys
I saw that CZ chambers some rifles for both and was wondering if there was a big difference.
It seems that there isn't but I guess there must be a demand for both

I have a CZ 527 American in .222. From what I read on this forum it must be the only so-so CZ in the states. I just now got back from the range where I first shot my new Stevens Mod. 200 in .223.Looking at performance only the CZ doesn't hold a candle to the Stevens. Not even close, terrible trigger and all. monaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Last I heard, the record benchrest accuracy record was still held by a 222. The 223 can also be very accurate. I'd say, as others have noted, the big advantage to the 223 is cheap ammo; in my opinion the extra power isn't that much of an advantage.

The next bench rest match the 223 wins will be it's first. In a match grade rifle the duece has a decided edge

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Realistically for most people not enough to worry yourself about get on with life.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I must take a small exception here. The 223 shoots a bit faster and I agree it's small, but the fact that it's so much more popular means a lot of rifles are chambered for it and there's only a few chambered for the 222 anymore. The popularity is due to the ammo availability and thence the cost being milsurp brass available in buckets full.

In terms of accuracy there is no noticable difference to a varmint rifle between the two.

I have a friend in a state that has a minimum energy requirement for a deer hunting cartridge and the 223 makes the grade and the 222 don't.

The 222 frankly is slowly becoming an obsolete cartridge.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing in my opinion that makes the .223 more popular is the cheap plentiful brass. I have both and I never give it much though which one comes out of the rack. Once I start thinking of shooting anything larger than PD's at over 300 yards the 22-250 or .220 Swift is going.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the preference, there are valid issues on both sides, mainly brass. Compared to my .222 Rimmed Martini, they are both cheap and plentiful.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote