Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 52gr Amax: COAL??
 Login/Join

posted
what COAL do you guys load 52gr Amax for a .22-250?

I load my 52gr Nosler CC to 2.375 but the ballistic tip on the Amax will make it much longer unless I seat it deeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 03psd:

I load my 52gr Nosler CC to 2.375 but the ballistic tip on the Amax will make it much longer unless I seat it deeper.

Build a dummy round and seat bullet into rifling (partial size neck and push dummy round into chamber with bolt)to determine your rifle
COAL and then back off .030" measured by ogive. However, rifle magazine will determine max COAL. I single feed accurate loads if to long for magazine box. Good option is to buy a Hornady OAL Gauge. Adjust seating depth to find your rifle's "sweet spot".

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load mine 2.442"

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.475" for me. Very accurate

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
The ogive is further toward the tip on the 52 grain Amax, therefore it must be seated further into the case to chamber freely in most rifles chambers...

it is even further out than Hornady's own 52 grain and 53 grain HP Match bullets for some reason, that I don't understand...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why not experiment a bit and find the OAL that actually works best in your rifle?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote