New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mmBR- Advice needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm about to have a 6br built & thought i'd choose a Kreiger barrel. i just saw a print out of their barrels & see that their 6 groove is only available in twists of 1;13, 14, or 15. the 70 to 95 gr bullets i want to shoot seem to call for a 1;10 or 1;9 twist. kreiger makes a 4 (four) groove for 243/6mm in 1;8, 1;9, 1;10 etc. will the 4 groove provide the accuracy most shooters require/expect, or do i have to look to another manufacture? thanks as always/ chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chaz

You can rest assured that Kreiger is not going to make a barrel that is not match-grade accurate. 4-groove is probably the most popular especially in the fast twists. There's a tremendous centrifigal force on the bullet jacket and the fewer cuts in the jacket from the rifleing the less chance of ruptures. Don't hesitate to discuss your project with the good folks at Kreiger. They are both barrel makers and shooters and will not steer you wrong.

IMHO a 9 twist will give you a much wider range of bullet choices and will not give up any accuracy over a 10T.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Krieger's are topnotch, but you can also consider PacNor. Excellent service and quality.

And if you have not perused 6mmBR.com, it's loaded with info.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Lilja barrels comments on 3 groove barrels. They are doing well in bench rest with 20% longer barrel life. I would feel confident with a 4 groove. Krieger has a tremendous reputation.
www.riflebarrels.com
By the way, I believe Dakota Arms uses Lilja barrels as standard.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gents/ thanks/ordered a 1;9 4 groove from kreiger

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a 1-8 twist and you can shoot from 107 grains down to 50 grains without trouble!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote