Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Enfield 303-25 accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Took my SMLE based 303-25 for a little shoot last weekend. I thought the distance was less than 150m (160yds). The group size with a dodgy rest was 31mm (1.22 inch). Not really that good. But today I measured the distance and it turned out to be 189m (207yds). That makes the accuracy 0.6 MOA! I shot two critters today and there was no mistaking point of aim hits. My rifle is not shooting too badly at all! Why did the 303-25 fade away? It is a great cartridge! (I believe Lyman used to make loading dies for it).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
There are no flies on the .303-25 that's for sure. My old one had sections of rifleing missing and still shot Minute of Animal.

I guess it was killed off by the .243 and the move away from the old SMLE actions most of the versions were chambered on.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
It seems like a nice little round. What bullets are you using in it?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
looks like something I d hunt with. Wink but I still like my 6.5mm/.264cal bullets Wink

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I think one reason it never caught on in the USA is because a rimmed cartridge like the 25-303 could never unseat the “King” of 25 calibers.

The list of little known rimmed and rimless 25 caliber cartridges is a long one. The King still lives, it just shares the throne with the 25-06 now. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the drawings, MickinColo.

I'm using 85gr Nosler balistic tips.

quote:
The King still lives

Can't argue with that! Nothing wrong with the Roberts. And for Lee Enfield lovers like me, there is the option of the 257 Roberts Rimmed! My rifle handles 2.22 inch cases which is what I get when I size down 303 Brit cases.

I can't argue with the 6.5x55 Swede either!

All I have done to the rifle is place a piece of cloth under the knox form and receiver ring to tighten up the action and clear the barrel channel. I have done no more than anneal the case necks and find a powder charge that gives enough pressure for consistant combustion. I am using a homemade neck sizer. I also fitted a small overbarrel suppressor. I have made no attempt to develop an accurate load - last weekend was the first attempt to shoot a 'group'.

Yesterday, I shot one turkey (160yds) and one rabbit (120yds). I am now so confident with that rifle! Bullet strikes were exactly point of aim and the first shot was out of a freshly cleaned bore! No critter will escape me now. (It also means I won't fire unless absolutely certain of a clean kill).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
There is no replacing a rifle that allows that kind of confidence. thumb