Find
Notify
Tools

won an Auction.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Gun Broker.
Its a Remington 722,in the .257 Roberts.
its in good shape with the barrel trimmed to 20.5 And the stock refinished.
No Collectors Item but it looks good and should shoot just fine, looking forward to trying some of the high bc 110 rain bullets...

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Sounds good.

I myself have never owned nor shot a .257 but have always been attracted by the caliber. And I well remember the 722 from my misbegotten youth (I remember with nostalgic affection the old Remington ads in the centerfold of The American Rifleman). I'd like to know how it shoots. I hope well.

BL

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your buy has reminded me that I have a 30S Remington in .257 in my gun case which I picked up some time ago, but have never gotten around to doing anything with. Years ago, I had a Mauser actioned varmint rifle in .257 which was very finicky about ammunition and would only shoot 87 grain Sierra bullets really accurately. However, once I worked up a load for it, it was most satisfactory. It was the rifle I used to get my only "double" on crows. I got a shot at two sitting side by side on the same limb, facing in opposite directions. The same bullet took care of both of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Loaded for a 722B that my Dad owned shot ok but I never did much load work as it was used on Wis. whitetails and a 100 yards shot is long.

Might even been a 257AI as the fired rounds wouldn't fit a newer 257 chamber.

Came with it own set of dies.

But that was many decades ago it was given to nephew.

Don't know if he has it or not.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 30s originally chamberd for the ol Bob might be quite a valuable piece !

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
TJ,

Depending on the twist rate on that Roberts barrel, it may not like the long 110's. Don't let that discourage you. I have 2, a standard Roberts and an AI. They both shoot the 100 gr Noslers really well, and my AI with the fast twist bbl shoots 115-120's fantastic.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twist rate should be 1 in 10,
I have a Roberts now and just sold one. The one i sold loved a 100 grain Barnes over H 414.
Took a mule deer buck with it once, very impressive bullet !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like the rem 721 and 722, good working guns..Ive owned them in 257 Robts and 222 Rem and one rare 722 in .308 and it was a factory rifle, should have kept it..

BTW I also won a GunBroker auction and got me a Ruger African model in 275 Rigby, only 250 made, I should stick it in the gun case and forget about it for a year or two and make a killing on it, but we know that ain't gonna happen.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine said a while back that he had confirmed a purchase of a Ruger in 275 Rigby, seems to me it was a Model 1. what ever the named model, I guess it's quite rare/limited production.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote