THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .224 Vmax and BKs perf. on vermin?...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224 Vmax and BKs perf. on vermin?...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
How do the 50-55 Vmax and 55 Blitz King at say 3600 MV perform on big vermin such as sub 75lb wild pig, Coyotes, Javenlina when the shots are dead broad side and placed mid ribs through the lungs? Do they penetrate enough to do the job effectively? Exits?

I've shot small pigs w/ my 22 Mag and got full penetration w/ 40 HPs but, were only talkin' 1900-2000 MV. I've always shot the little boogers w/ my big game rifles but, was wondering how my new 22-250 would do. I used a 22-250 years ago but, used the 55 CLs then.

I've never shot the loads above into vermin of that size and was just curious.

Thanks

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They'll typically kill 'em deader and faster than larger, slower expanding bullets.

There's no such thing as a 75 pound animal that is too large for a centerfire .22.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that you will be very happy with the 22-250.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
If you have a 12 twist you can also look at the 60 grain Partition in the 3400-3500 fps range They will for sure expand and give you penetration on animals that size. I think I have some info kicking around here some place for the 22-250 with the 60 grain part loads. Pm me if you wan't it and i will dig it up for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
Each fall I fill quite a few crop damage deer permits with my 22/250 Ackley Improved @ 3,998 using Sierra 55 gr. spitzers(#1360).
They don't pass through but most don't take a step and if they do it's not very many. This bullet raises holy hell in the boiler room, the lungs turn from solid to liquid in the blink of an eye. This bullet was designed for varmints but does an admirable job on Eastern Whitetails with most going 125-150#. This same bullet also lasered a 1/2" thick truck spring leaf, something that sure impressed me!
We stand hunt over looking large hay fields with shots from 100yds to 440 and never had a premature bullet failure with this bullet.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself , I would be for using a tougher bullet than a 50 gr VMax on 70 lb porkers , the VMax type bullets are made to be pretty fragile and explosive on even the smallest varmints and can surface splash on coyotes at times..........I'd be looking at a plain softpoint as mentioned and the 63 gr Sierra is also good.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
l would take a long look at the 60gr.Horn.H.P.
this is a great bullet for what you want it to
do.l think you will be happy with it..

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote