THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    How many of you shoot a 250 Savage???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many of you shoot a 250 Savage???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been considering buying a Savage rifle with a traditional wood stock (new) in a 250-3000 Savage. How many of you shoot one, 250 Savage I mean.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one in a Savage 99 for about 20 yrs and sold it to someone with a pocket full of money. Never shot anything but 87gr Winchester factory ammo in it. It was an east Texas deer killing machine. Only objection was the weight but it was primarily a stand gun. The 250 is a really good deer caliber.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger in 250 Sav and the thing was a bear to find a load that shot good in it.The 250 is a good deer round and not to bad for varmints.Go with 85-90 gr bullets and you should have no problems.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingThe twist and deep throat in mine, (Mod. 200 Stevens) handles the 100 to 120 grain bulltes accurately out to 400 yds. Roll Eyes That is probably farther than you'd want to use it on deer size game. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me a Sav mdl 11(lefty) a few years back it had a 22-250 light barrel on it and I rebarreled it w/ a Douglas Premimum stainless barrel in 250-3000 ACK-Imp. It shoots great I shoot both the 85gr Nossler and Sierra 100gr Match Kings at targets w/ wonderful results. I can't get it to shoot the Honaday 75gr Balistic tips as good and never tried anything heavier. I do have one complaint though... the gun itself doesn't extract/ eject worth a darn. I installed a new extractor w/ the same results. Savage won't touch it because I had it blue printed and the douglas barrel. I love the way it shoots but havn't shot it in over a year Mad because of the extraction problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two bolt action 250-3000 rifles, a custom on a mauser action, and a Remington Model 700 Classic.
Also have one in 250AI on a Rem 700 CDL, short action..
Each one is more accurate than I could have hoped for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Savage model 1920, Ruger model 77, and a Savage model 99 in 250. I would use any one of the three for any medium sized game anytime with the 87gr Hornady.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot several blacktail deer with a model 99 takedown in .250-3000 and it did a fine job. Alas, for some unknown reason, I sold this gem of a rifle.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I have the equavalent (almost) in the form of a 303-25. I love it. Great caliber in my opinion. It is on a SMLE action and has a skinny long barrel. It shoots pretty accurately! (87gr Speer, 85gr Nostler ballistic tips and 100gr Sierra). My gun is a bit heavy but I use it a lot because I like the caliber so much.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 250/3000 in a Stevens 200 conversion that shoots almost anything i feed it. With 100gr Partitions it shoots MOA at 200yds all the time. I also have a custom Ruger#3 in 250AI. it shoots minute of prairiedog out to 400yds with 75gr V-max. If you are not a re-loader it is difficult to find something that your rifle will shoot well and consistantly.
Buy the 250.You will never be sorry.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was my granddad's M99 takedown. I've had a Ruger featherweight and a Rem 700 Classic(for sale in the Classifieds). They have all shot great and done a fine job on deer. The ultimate starter for women or young hunters and those who just appreciate a classic round.

Posts: 90 | Location: NW PA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a new Ruger International in 250 Savage, and although I haven't shot it yet, I'm really looking forward to the day. Just have to wait another 7 weeks for the Rob Joy leg brace to come off from knee surgery. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have an original FN Mauser chambered in 250-3000 in a Bishop walnut stock. Metal is dated 1951. Rifle shoots sub-moa with 87-grain and 100-grain loads. A tad on the heavy side, but fun to shoot. Easy to load, too.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
For many years I owned and shot a Ruger M77 that had been rebored from 22/250 to .250 Savage. It was my favourite rifle and shot extremely well and killed game far better than I would have thought. When I wore the barrel out, I rebarrelled to .257 Roberts but then lost interest when I found a Savage 99 in .250 Savage and now I am back to shooting the .250 Savage cartridge and in a classic rifle!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the .25 caliber and think highly of the 250 Savage but my chosen 25 is the 25 wssm Cool

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote