New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hornet Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been wanting a Rifle in .22 Hornet for a long time . I want a good well built Rifle.
Whats does everyone think are some good Brands that I should look at. Not Ruger , nothing wrong but want a little better.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a peek at the little browning lowall. lots of good press on the CZ's, but i don't care for the external magazine. one other is the browning micro but all of the above make great K-hornets Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ. It is the most accurate rifle I own.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Blazer 93,
I'm a Cooper diehard;however I bought a CZ and it is a really good shooting rifle.
I do not like the magazine but since I'm a single shot shooter purchased the single shot adapter and it makes the feed really smooth and positive.

Beryl

No Avitar

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Beryl-

If you have some time before you need to get your Hornet, you might try looking around for a used Anschutz Model 1432 sporter.

They were built on the same model 54 actions the really high dollar Anschutz Olympics-level target rifles were built on. They also have very nice quality wood, excellent finishes, 24" barrels of just the right weight for a .220-bore sporter, outstanding triggers, and lots of nice little touches such as a "shotgun-style" trigger guard.

I sure wish I hadn't sold mine about 12 years ago. In my opinion they are as accurate as anything out there and considerably better looking than most.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found 1432 sporter , but they are not cheap . $1300

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried a couple Rugers, both were terrible in accuracy. I also tried a micro hunter from browning. Good rifle & accurate. I did not like the clip. Now I have an Anchutz 1730 heavy barrel. It is a fanntastic rifle in all respects. Have had this gun for 5-6 years & take it PD shooting & have had zero peoblems in some very high volume shooting situations. It is also a 3/4" five shot at 100 yards gun.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the Sako 78.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying the Savage Model 40. It's a single shot rifle, a little on the heavey side, but a solid shooter. Price is very reasonable, the accutrigger is as good as it gets. Laminated wood stock is a pretty piece of wood that is also cut for a surprisingly comfortable grip and fit.

It may not have the smoothest action in the market, but for dollar value and accuracy, I think it is an excellent value.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
I have found 1432 sporter , but they are not cheap . $1300

I am not surprised at that price. I sold mine years ago for almost $1,000 and it had been de-valued by having the chamber recut to Ackley Improved.

I debated whether to even mention it to the lad, but he asked for the best, and that is certainly one of the best.

Another really nice one which one almost never sees is the BSA "Majestic" series bolt action. Not as nicely finished as the Anschutz 1432, but just as accurate, and a little shorter, so a little handier to carry in dense woods for squirrels or on a tractor on the prairies for 'yotes, P-dogs, whatever. Plus the BSA is a true really miniature Mauser-style action, which for some reason just appeals to me to the point of almost making me giggle when I handle one.

One last recommendation...if you can find a Model 54 Winchester Super Grade in Hornet, they are an absolutely superb rifle...better, I think, than even the Anschutz 1432, and better in EVERY way...finish, style, workmanship, accuracy, everything. I owned one of those for years, with a Fecker 25 mounted on it.

But, they are hard to find; they were only made for 3 or 4 years, back in the 30's. When I left Saskatchewan, it kind of "retired" and then when I moved to Arizona from Alberta, I made the mistake of selling IT. A Saskatchewan wheat farmer I used to goose hunt with drove 700 miles to the gun shop I sold it to, just to get that specific rifle. A truly great Hornet, but probably even more expensive than the Anschutz 1432 these days.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very best .22 Hornet is a Stevens model 322. I picked mine up for $170, added a B-square scope mount for $45, a 3-9 Weaver Classic scope, and a Richard's Microfit stock for about $125 (factory second). It looks kinda' purdy and it will outshoot any Ruger or NEF ever made.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put my oar in with a vote for the BRNO ZKW 465. Mine is a 1949 model and I think it can do duty with the best of them, accurate and the double set trigger is a delight. IF I ever got rid of it, then it would be replaced with a CZ527 Hornet. My friend and his son,in Montana, have one each and the PD's there can vouch for their accuracy at 200+ yards.

Isn't that nice

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote