New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up an h&r hornet last week,and got my dies today. I already have some 35 gr v-max pills left over from experimenting with them in my 223. Is lil gun the way to go? in the hodgdon manual it seems a little on the slower side ,but i would rather have better accuracy than speed. what about h110, any good groups with it. Small pistol primers or small rifle primers? Im getting 2 inch groups with factory hornady 35gr v-max loads, so im pretty sure i can tighten that up.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Not at my bench, but LiL'gun works great. I use it with the 35 grain bullet. It transforms this little cart.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
13 grains of Lil'Gun under a 35 grain V Max will be as accurate as you can get. Be sure to use a small pistol primer.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJ:
13 grains of Lil'Gun under a 35 grain V Max will be as accurate as you can get. Be sure to use a small pistol primer.
Pete

PJ is telling you the straight truth! Lil Gun and the 35 grain is the new Hornet, accurate and productive. Lil Gun and Hornady SX bullets work pretty awesome in the H&R as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Hornady 45 grain Hornet bullet with 12.7 grains of Lil gun. I use Winchester cases and the Remington 6 1/2 primer. I have not tried the 35 grain V-max because I found a deal on a closeout for that bullet and I have a stock of those primers so I won't switch for about 2000 more rounds.
I don't have a crony but I find the round to quite accurate out to about 175 yards. The Hodgdon website shows up to 13 grains of Lil gun for the 45 grain bullet, but the accuracy dropped off in my Stevens model 322 above 12.7.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
13 grains of Lil' Gun, 40 gr Hornady V-max, small pistol primer, winchester or RP case don't seem to make much difference, gives me 2950 fps in my BRNO ZKW. I also use a Lee crimper and give the necks a gentle squeeze, just trying to help that Lil'Gun which can have some pretty extreme deviation figures in my experience.

This is a sub MOA load and the furthest I have taken rabbits with it is 176 yards, but I am confident it would do 200 yards easily for a fox.

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilgun powder and small pistol primers are the way to start with a Hornet. Make the powder changes in 0.2grs at a time.

I have no experience with the 35gr bullets.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have 25 once fired cases and 100 new cases, I got the lee 3 die set and plan on only neck sizing the 25 fired cases,I dont have a crimp die, Will there be a notice in accuracy with a crimp die or is that just insurace so the bullet dosnt come loose, i dont think i will have the problem being that its a single shot.

loud pipes save lives

Posts: 100 | Location: New Enterprise PA | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont crimp them to stop the heads coming loose, and I only neck size as well. I do it to try and get the standard deviation down, which I find it does.

Does it make it any more accurate? well, I find that some days it does and some days it don't, but I am guessing that is down to me Big Grin

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote