Find
Notify
Tools

22-Hornet help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Does anybody have any info on the Max Overall Length of a 40 gr. Nosler Balistic tip. in a standard Hornet case. I am using 12.5 to 13 gr of H-Lil gun. Please help bottom of case to tip of bullet. Thanks MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
<dave3220>
posted
OAL in the Hornet (for me) has been limited by how long I could seat the bullet to in repeaters, and in the Ruger #3 how far I could seat the bullet out to try and "kiss" the rifling and still have the case hold the bullet.
(Interesting about you using LIL GUN. I use 13 to 13.5 gr. AA1680 in my "K"Hornets with 45 gr. bullet. Got a few sub MOA groups, and digger squirrells out past 200 yds. with this load. Have to try LIL GUN sometime.) Dave

------------------
Dave

<Oldmodel70>
posted
Maddog, my shooting buddy seats his Hornet bullets to fit the detachable magazine on his CZ rifle. In my break open Hornet rifle, I seat the bullets to just miss touching the lands. By the way, we both use the Hornady 35 gr. Vmax. We both like this little short bullet........Grant.

<westerner>
posted
I really like the little Hornady Vmax 35gr. too in my Ruger 77/22. I get consistant
MOA groups with 12.3gr. of H110. I load
them long enough to hang on to the bullet.
They really do the job on jackrabbits!