THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Sand Bags or Dedicated Front Rest?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sand Bags or Dedicated Front Rest?
 Login/Join

posted
I use Caldwell front- and rear shooting bags for 100 yard bench shooting.

Will a good front rest like a Caldwell Rock, Sinclair or Hart be a worthwhile improvement over bags as far as precision, repeatability, etc. ?

I shoot well over bags but I've been pondering this for a while now.

I wasn't sure where to post this but, since I own a .243, I figured here was as good a forum as any.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used simple sand bags for years. Upgraded to the Midway. I believe it was the father of the Caldwell Rock deluxe. I've been very pleased and felt it was worth the $$. I find it just a lot easier to line up for the shot. For a normal shooter going to more bells and whisles like the Rock BR I believe would be a waste of money.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a reason the accuracy shooters use a front rest. I would get one and not look back.
The ones you listed would work fine. To me the heavier the better. Try to get one with an adjustable windage top.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesDepends on what you are trying to do and how good you get with what you got. popcorn

With my home brewed 3/4" plywood ajustable FRONT REST and rice bags for a butt rest groups below .200" have been produced. coffee

Would a more elaborate front rest make me happier? Well, maybe. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg788:
Will a good front rest like a Caldwell Rock, Sinclair or Hart be a worthwhile improvement over bags as far as precision, repeatability, etc. ?

Don't forget the WICHITA.

Having that forend stop helped me regards repeatability versus using the orange Hoppes lightweight front rest I had used for years.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Ya want a real rock solid rest, check this one out... made by a local gunsmith acquaintence of mine...

http://www.shotsgunsmithing.com/Pistol%20Bipods.htm

I use one of these, or a Harris BiPod with a Caldwell rest at the buttstock... solid as a rock...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For sighting in my hunting rifles and shotguns, three kneeling bags filled with poly beads works good for me. They seem to work with a wide variety of firearms. I am seriously considering getting rid of my three mechanical front rests!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, if I'm going to do something, I want to do it the very best way that I can.
In shooting from a bench, this means a Bald Eagle or a Hart front rest, and a good rear bag.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a adjustable front rest and a "standard"
sand bag at the rear because I like the bigger surface.

The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but the experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Hart rest and my next front rest will be a Hart. Their may be some as good but none better!!!!!

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farley, SEB or Shadetree.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote