Find
Notify
Tools

.224 TTH
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Anybody loading it for whitetail? What bullets and powders are you using?

Just bought a HCR chambered for it at a bargain price and wanted to get a headstart on some handloads... thanks!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This might get you close.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=101

So diving of into the world of wildcats Wink
let me know how it works out.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading RWS 74.5gr bullets for deer/antelope in my 22/6mm. Hornady 75gr A-Maxes have also been used on whitetails and coyotes. I have planned on trying Swift Scirrocos in the near future.
Several things that the TTH article failed to say were who actaully developed the 22/6mm ond the gunsmith that built the rifles for TTH. I was lucky enough to have the original developer of this cartridge build my rifle and gain access to his data. He was the late Harold Broughton-gunsmith/ Natl. BR Champion. Gregg Richards-gunsmith, also an acquaintance, did the gun building for TTH. Gregg had bought Harolds barrel making equipment and became enthusiastic about the 22/6 as I did. Gregg and I have both passed much information between us on loadings for the 22/6 which TTH renamed for their own purposes.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
So diving of into the world of wildcats
let me know how it works out.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. craigster, nice article from TTHA and TX6BR, your additional history of the cartridge was very interesting...

You know, Spence, I ran into this Hill Country Rifle owned by a little old lady that just shot it on Sundays after church... Wink Stainless short Winnie action, fluted Lilja barrel, McMillen stock, just your cup of tea!

At the range on Sunday, it shot .4 MOA groups and yesterday I actually took it out and hammered two whitetails with it... both one shot kills. Impressive debut!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that caliber and looking at the idea of the newer 80 grain A Max....

For blacktail or antelope, that should be a pretty nifty combination....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh how cool !!! you need to bring it with you if you come back this year. ( I save a few big bucks for ya thumb)

So when you get a load worked out for it let me know what kind of velocity are you getting out of it.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something else just for info is the 22/6 is a factory round and built in Europe. It is known as the 5.56x57. It is loaded with the RWS 74.5gr bullet. The cartridge was built primarily to hunt deer sized game like the Roe deer.
The 5.56x57 will not fit in our chamberings, the neck is way too thick. Harold had built a rifle for an English hunter way back when who had one of the 5.56x57s. He simply took our 6mm and necked it down. He also did the R&D work on the Sierra 80gr HP bullet which he loaded exclusively for the 22/6. H4831 was his powder of choice. No telling how many yotes fell to his rifle. Prior to his passing Harold was putting together a 22/6 rail gun to shoot 1000 yards with. The powders I have found to be excellet in the 22/6mm are H4831SC and Winchester WMR. Harold gave me a tin of the 74.5 RWS bullets. They work very well on proghorn. I took my largest goat with the 22/6.

Texas Verminator

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 70gr TSX with 48.0gr of Re22. Same load shoots 75gr Amax, both are EXCELLENT on deer and hogs out to 500 yards. Starke makes a 68gr hollow point that will not exit a coyote, it literally puts them down. The TSX is your best bet on the bigger animals. I have killed 100s of hogs and 50 deer with this caliber and it flat works!!!!
Nobody I know has had any luck with the Sciroccos shooting well, 1.5 moa at best.
Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx6BR

where did you get the RWS bullets and what kind of bullet are they?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, Spence, I ran into this Hill Country Rifle owned by a little old lady that just shot it on Sundays after church... Stainless short Winnie action, fluted Lilja barrel, McMillen stock, just your cup of tea!

Damn Russell, You sure know how to make people jealous! Let me know when you get tired of this one.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 224 TTH, aka 22-6mm, is in the newest Hornady loading manual.

Hornady and Redding both make dies for it. The Hornady dies are a standard item while the Reddings are custom jobs.

Lonnie Hummel of Hornady who did the work on that cartridge has had 15 barrels in that caliber since 1960.

Bob Greenleaf, who was the chief engineer at Savage for thirty years, is a big fan of it too.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
The 224 TTH, aka 22-6mm, is in the newest Hornady loading manual.

Hornady and Redding both make dies for it. The Hornady dies are a standard item while the Reddings are custom jobs.

Lonnie Hummel of Hornady who did the work on that cartridge has had 15 barrels in that caliber since 1960.

Bob Greenleaf, who was the chief engineer at Savage for thirty years, is a big fan of it too.

RCBS also makes dies. They were the only makers when I bought mine. Nice to see some loading datas finally coming out. Before it has been from shooters talking to other 22/6 shooters.
Perry, Harold gave me the bullets when he made my rifle. They are built similar to a Partion. Pretty tough on deer and pronghorn. The last i saw anyone selling them were Midway and Old Western Scrounger. They are high at 40.00+ a box.
Bob

Texas Verminator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was out in my bullet case today, gathering some to handload some 223 rounds.. and I noticed the several boxes of Speers 70 grain SMP...

I was thinking how that bullet must do in a 22TTH.... and what kind of velocity it would give...

I have shot a couple of deer with that bullet from a 223, and a couple from a 22.250...A neck shot from behind ( right over the tail and back) hit the vertibrae at the base of the deer's neck.. and came out of his throat about the size of a dinner plate....the head and rack weren't worth mounting, even tho it was a good sized blacktail...

that is one tough bullet...this subject keeps bringing up some interesting thoughts in my head....

I have used it in a 22.250 with an MV of 3300 fps...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am running a 75gr A Max a tad over 3600. The 70gr Speer with my load may go close to 3700. With that velocity the bullet may be pretty explosive. I know the A Max is at lose range.
The 22/6 is definitely a long range killer. Gregg Richards-gun builder/1000 yd shooter- dumped a mule deer with an A Max at 700+ ranged yards. A bit far for my shooting but in the right hands can be very effective.

Texas Verminator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire

I have used the Speer in my 22/6mm with good results. Even at close range it holds together but out past 200yds it drops like a rock and really loses A LOT of energy.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry, what twist do you have in your gun? Mine is 1:7. I found a sweet spot for mine running right at 3650 with the A Max. Any faster and it opens up pretty quick. The amazing part is it will shoot the same 1/2"- 3/4" group at 300yds from the sporter wt. barrel Harold built. Every now and then I think about selling the gun. I seldom ever use it anymore. I'm usually grabbing one of the Swifts or the new 6BR. It was one of Harolds favorites so I may hang on to it. I have a new 257 Rbts barrel to screw back on when this one is smoked.

Texas Verminator

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The amazing part is it will shoot the same 1/2"- 3/4" group at 300yds from the sporter wt. barrel Harold built.

Wow! Eeker And I thought mine shot well.

Thanks again guys for all the load info... I may try the 70 grain TSX bullets next... how do they group in your rifle Perry?

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My twist is 1:7 and I also found the sweet spot to be about 3650. My rifle will shoot a 3 inch group out to 500 yards with the Amax and Sierra 69 bthp, I have never shot it any farther than that.
The TSXs shoot one little hole. Every bullet I have ever tried shoots except the Sciroccos.

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to try the Sciroccos this past season but, after all the bad accuracy reports I've had, chose against them. Sounds like we have about the same setup. I need to find more of the RWS bullets in the near future somewhere.

Texas Verminator

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx6BR
If you will send me your address I'll send you my sciroccos, I certainly dont need them. They may shoot in your gun, they dont shoot in any of the 22/6mm I know of.

Perry