Find
Notify
Tools

264 Weatherby Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted
I ran across a page that I thought was interesting the other day. I am on a 6.5 kick right now and for some reason want one of every 6.5 out there. Do any of you guys own one of these or do you know anyone that does?

http://mcwhorterrifles.com/WhatsNew.html

http://mcwhorterrifles.com/Gun...6.5WeatherbyMag.html

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McWhorter builds some great rifles. Give Tim or Alan a call and see what they say. Actions start with Remington and progress to Borden, etc. Prices are $3,800-$4,800 or so. They may have a 6.5 Wby wildcat on their website now.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A 264 Wby. That is one I really have to bewildered my head on. Reading his sight it is a 257 necked up or a 270Wby necked down. A 257Wby has around 80.3gr of water capacity a 270Wby has 80.9. The 264 has 80.7. So neck one up or the other down and you have the same capacity.

If you simply want to fool with a wildcat or have a desire for a double radius shoulder to fool with then go for it.

As I see it a 264Wby brings nothing to the table over a properly throated 264Wmag. He is trying to fill a gap that doesn't exist.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Paul. If you are really going for something that is REALLY overbore, just build a 6.5STW. I'm not sure there is powder slow enough. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes I have one of mcwhorters 6.5 weatherby mags and it is a great caliber. I also have a 6.5x284 and sold my 264 win mag. My gun shoots great with several bullets all under 1/2 inch but where it really shine is shooting at 250 and 350 yards, thats as far as I have. It shoots 140 vld, and 140 north forks and 120 ttsx and 130tsx bullets and the powder of choice is vv560. great round not better or worse but as good as it gets. I resize 257 brass and fire away.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Confused on this one as well. Can't see what it offers over the wonderful .264 Win Mag.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes I have one of mcwhorters 6.5 weatherby mags and it is a great caliber

Not saying that McWhorters does or doesn't make a fine rifle. With exactly the same case capacity I would bet his rifle would work just as well in 264Wmag and not require custom dies etc.

Too each his own.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 seems to be today's Holy Grail.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cary Howard
posted Hide Post
Gerryb, how does it compare to your 6.5x284?

Posts: 210 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have a set of 6.5 Weatherby dies!!!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This looks just like the early 1960's era 6.5 WWH wildcat used in the "Original Pennslyvania 1000 Yard Shoots". Weatherby-Wright-Hoyer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the dies from redding they make them. I like both the 6.5x284 and the 6.5weatherby. I can't say there is anything BETTER its just a nice caliber, light recoil and the only plus i see is it shoots the 140 north forks a little faster and flatter. I am not abasher of any caliber I like to shoot them all. I don't see an advantage over a 264 win mag and i don't see an advantage of the win mag over the weatherby. If you like 6.5's i would think wither would be a fine addtion to your collection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 375 H&H but I love my 375 RUM better just personal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are actually two 6.5 Wby wildcats, the 264 (257 necked up or 270 or 7mm necked down) and the 6.5-300 Wby, the 300 Wby case necked down to 6.5. That one is a great LR round, made a name for itself in the early 1000 yard contests. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote