THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Poll: 6.5 Cal. Shorten Barrel or Rechamber?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: 6.5 Cal. Shorten Barrel or Rechamber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted
This is really just for fun, but I’m also curious what the responses will be. As a rifle looney, it’s fun to do these projects.

I have a Ruger No. 1, 6.5 Crredmoor, 28” barrel. This was part of their lineup a few years back. It’s on the heavy side and a 6.5 CM certainly doesn’t need a 28” barrel to perform. But it certainly is pleasant to shoot.

This gun is accurate, but not super accurate. It will group between 3/4” and 1” for five shots at 100 yds. Shortening the barrel might improve accuracy due to increased stiffness. Or, I could rechamber it to one of the big 6.5 cartridges (264 Win Mag, 26 Nosler, 6.5-300 Wby etc) and take advantage of the long barrel.

I do like the 6.5 CM cartridge and would buy another if this gun were rechambered.

So, what option would you select?

Question:
Ruger No. 1b, 28” medium weight barrel. Leave it as is, shorten the barrel, or rechamber?

Choices:
Leave it as it is.
Keep it as a 6.5 Creedmoor, but shorten the barrel.
Keep the barrel length, but rechamber to a bigger 6.5 cartridge.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100y are to short to be interesting but under a inch are very nice groups. How big are your 300y groups?

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shortening the barrel from 26" makes a lot of sense for many shooting sports, but there is indeed a trade between barrel length and velocity.

Use this tool to estimate how much velocity is lost for your favorite loads: http://shootersnotes.com/calcu.../velocity-estimator/.

The real metric in the trade is, however, wind drift if one is interested in long range shooting, or bullet terminal velocity if one is looking at medium game hunting.

Use your favorite trajectory calculator to see if either metric makes enough change to make a difference.

One can remove an astounding length of barrel before either metric pops up as significant when the range is 300 yd or less.

Posts: 89 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 11 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old If you intend to use it as a deer hunting rifle cut the barrel between 18" and 20". It'll make it easy to carry and the deer will never Know the difference.
tu2 If you're shooting paper maybe you're right in thinking the shorter barrel will improve repeatability.
homer If you're thinking higher velocity for whatever reason. go with the 6.5 X .284 or 6.5-06.
clap OR keep it the way it is or rechamber it and get a 6.5 Creedmore SCOUT. There is always a need for aother gun until the day you orphan your fire arms.
Big Grin roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
more powder volume.

6.5 X 57 all the way,, reserve the 6.5-06 reamer for the next go round.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
100y are to short to be interesting but under a inch are very nice groups. How big are your 300y groups?

Past 100 yds I've only shot at steel gongs, so I can't say. No problem hitting them out to 400 yds though.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
more powder volume.

I suppose it could be progressively rechambered to longer rounds as the throat wears.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
As Ruger #1 get shorter, they lose some of their elegance and balance in my opinion. Also I simply love the hang of the longer barrel and the #1 pays little penalty for a 28" tube. The 6.5 CM certainly doesn't suffer any from it either.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If you shorten the barrel you will still have a heavy barreled rifle for a 6.5 Creedmoor. So, I say leave the barrel at the full 28" and rechamber for a magnum 6.5 cartridge. Then, go buy one of the 22" barreled Ruger 1A Light Sporter models in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
If you shorten the barrel you will still have a heavy barreled rifle for a 6.5 Creedmoor. So, I say leave the barrel at the full 28" and rechamber for a magnum 6.5 cartridge. Then, go buy one of the 22" barreled Ruger 1A Light Sporter models in 6.5 Creedmoor.

That's a good point. Ruger did a run of the No. 1 AH (24" A-weight barrel) in 6.5 CM. They were popular though and are now hard to find. On the other hand, I've got an AH in 25-06, which is not so accurate, and maybe a rebarrel to 6.5 CM would make sense! (Rifle looney logic)

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Jeff - I was suggesting the 22" barreled 1As: https://www.ableammo.com/catal...finish-p-122505.html

Not the 24" Lipsey's version without sights: https://ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21319.html

But either one of those light barreled models would do. Since the Lipsey's model has no sights the barrel could be cut to 20" to make a nice light carbine.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Jeff - I was suggesting the 22" barreled 1As: https://www.ableammo.com/catal...finish-p-122505.html

Not the 24" Lipsey's version without sights: https://ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21319.html

But either one of those light barreled models would do. Since the Lipsey's model has no sights the barrel could be cut to 20" to make a nice light carbine.

I learned something new; didn't know Ruger had ever produced the No. 1a in 6.5 CM.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
more powder volume.

You realize the 6.5x57 reamer will NOT clean up a 6.5 Creed chamber?

I have to agree with Grenadier, with that long barrel I'd opt for a larger capacity case.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Yes. If I did rechamber it I’d go with a bigger case.