Find
Notify
Tools

Misfire???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesMy cousin was shooting at the next bench over when he turned and said he had a misfire for the first time in his .243. The primer was lightly dented. "Try it again" says I. He did and it went off**** kinda**.
He said "You should see this case. I think part of the neck is still in the rifle."
There were longitudinal cracks on the peculiarly shaped shoulder? and a very short neck . Upon reading the back of the case it said 22-250 instead of .243. No part of the case was lodged in the chamber. Eeker
Shit happens! homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most of us have a cousin like that.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phil N
posted Hide Post
My Brother in Law trying to stuff one of my 270 WSMs into his 270 Win. Roll Eyes hilbily

US Army 1977-1998

Posts: 82 | Location: Carthage, NY | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fireforming at its finest. Smiler

Lot of guys in my old silhouette club fireformed .223s to get 7 TCU cases....but that's not quite the same thing.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my acquaintances loaned a 257 Weatherby to another, who bought a box of 257 Roberts ammunition for the hunt. Fortunately he never saw anything to shoot...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen the results of a 308 fired in a 264 Win Mag. The 308 headspaced close enough to fire.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
I've seen the results of a 308 fired in a 264 Win Mag. The 308 headspaced close enough to fire.

flameWhat was the outcome? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the results of a 7.62X39 fired in a 220 Swift! Blown up Ruger Varminter, wrecked 6X24 Leupold, driver side window & mirror shattered and windshield blown out. The lucky (idiot) shooter had ringing ears.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willieb:
I have seen the results of a 7.62X39 fired in a 220 Swift! Blown up Ruger Varminter, wrecked 6X24 Leupold, driver side window & mirror shattered and windshield blown out. The lucky (idiot) shooter had ringing ears.

ConfusedWhat was he doing to have all that car damage? CRYBABY roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He laid his jacket on the drivers sidewindow to use as a rest to shoot at a coyote. When he fired, the hinged floor plate came unhinged and shattered the window. The center portion of the stock blew out and shattered the outside mirror, and the claw extractor blew out and shattered the windshield.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
One of my boys picked up a 5.56 that looked to have been fireformed in a 7.62x39mm. When we moved it went in with some other "keepsakes" and I don't know where it is, or I'd post a pic.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Holland and Holland stopped making their .244 H&H Magnum - which had a 0.245 caliber based on the belted magnun case.

They had so many rifles come back blown up. Because people put larget caliber - but shorter ammo in an fire them, with disasterous results.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68781 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Round about 2009 in the Magnum Magazine from RSA there was a long write-up with photos of a clever person who managed to get a 308 to go off in a 25-06, with the sort of results you'd expect. No one injured.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote