Posts: 42 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"
Quote:

The guys probably can't figure out why you chose the 222 over the 223????? Ken

"

Why did the guy from Pasadena climb mount Wilson???????

He was there .The mountain was there and Everest was 12,000 miles away but the real reason was he just had a hankering to do that.Thanks for the reply, Ken. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bartsche...

I'm sorry I'm not much help as far as load development goes, but I like your choice! Actually, I was looking at this very rifle today...I am hankering for a .222. Did you get the standard stock, or were you able to order it in one of the neat options like curly maple?

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually while I had nothing to share because I don't have a triple duce I'd sure like one, my other CZ's (one of which is a .223) shoot like crazy. Couple that with the .222's reputation for accuracy ( arguably better than the .223, {that oughta start something } ) and it's gotta be a winner. My gopher smucking pardner shoots a triple duce, and as much as I'd like to see a difference when we're shooting side by side ( .223 to .222 ) if he's not standing here I have to admit I can't find one. I do know he uses WW 748, Fed primers and a 40 grain Sierra HP. Recently he was testing 10X and the 40 grain BlitzKing and it was shooting well under a half inch as well. I love those set triggers on the CZ's, Keep us posted.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
It's a standard stock.I'm quite a utilitarian.Almost all my stocks are painted. Artisticly that is. mostly birds and animals and one pickup truck and a lot of camo.

I will keep you tuned in to how it goes. nice replies guys. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll struggle to load badly with it!

For what it's worth I used VVN120 for 40gr and H322 for 55gr. Top loads of the slower powders eg VVN133 are getting mighty close to the top of the case with the lighter bullets such as 50gr and down. If it has a 1 in 14 twist 55gr is likely to be the practical limit.

The 40gr Vmax is excellent for thin skinned varmints with a max load of VVN120 and the 55gr Sierra Game King is excellent for our little roe deer inside of 150yards with a max load of H322.

Lovely little round

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
Why 222 over a 223! The 223 is so ugly looking with that short neck! And everyone knows that the 222 is a better shooter!

MoreBS

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"'Why 222 over a 223! The 223 is so ugly looking with that short neck! And everyone knows that the 222 is a better shooter!"

I sure hope u r rite. roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I am with you. 223s are like an asshole. Everyone has at least one. I own like 6.

However, I do love the looks of that little CZ 527. Especially the mannlicher stocked one.

Not only is a 222 accurate, if you are like me, I like to walk a different path than everyone else once in a while. A 222 allows you to do that, without sacrificing any accuacy and also gains in accuracy. Plus it is an easy cartridge to load.

I have a Winchester Featherweight in 223, that I will never get rid of. It is a great walking varminter. However the CZ in 222 is also in my future. I just wish we could get it with a 8 round magazine like they have available in Europe.

Class Cartridge, Class Rifle. Different from the rest of the Pack. and Accurate as hell. What more could you ask for?

Cheers and Good Shooting,
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
" However the CZ in 222 is also in my future. I just wish we could get it with a 8 round magazine "

Ijust wish I could get it period.It was ordered from CZ USA direct a week ago LAST Tue. When I called to pick it up I was informed that it hadn't arrived. The follow up indicated that they didn't have it in the States but now it should be here in 10 days. If you intend to get one be prepared to wait a bit. I guess I'll just have to shoot something else. Son of a gun. roger

<eldeguello>
posted
The CZ 527's are nice little rifles! I have one of the carbine models in 7.62X39mm, BUT it would be even nicer with a flush, double-stack Mauser 98-type magazine, rather than the box that sticks out in front of the trigger guard!

<eldeguello>
posted
I have tested this carbine with 180-grain Speer .311" roundnose bullets and 28.5 grains of H335 in WW cases. it will keep three rounds slightly under 1" with this load. Allso tried a load of 31.5 grains of H335 with Sierra 150-grain .308" bullets. This load produces an average group (5 shots) of around 1.5". Perhaps a little refining of this 150-grain load will improve grouping. Maybe not. May have to go to .311's to get any improvement, but 1.5" ius not bad for such a light barrel and lightweight gun.