New
Find
Notify
Tools

220 swift VSSF
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know what the twist rate is on the factory rifle and whats the heaviest bullet you can use? I was hoping for 60 grains but im not sure.

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The VSSF .220 Swift they come with a 1 in 14 twist. I have one. It shoots 50 and 55 Gr. bullets very well. It will not stabalize a 60 Gr. V-Max. However it will shoot a 63 Sierra Semi pointed bullet FB ok but not nearly as well as the 50-55's. 4064 really shoots well in my VSSF.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
60gr Nosler Partition and 60gr Berger hp with a flat base work real nice out my Rem in 1:14

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
STW_fan: My Remington 700 VSSF in 220 Swift really LIKES the Speer 52 grain HP/FB and like Jay Johnson's Swift mine likes the IMR 4064 powder as well!
I have not tried any heavier bullets in this particular Swift as yet. Normally I use the 55 grain bullets in all my other Swifts and I have not found them lacking in any type performance I need!
Best of luck with your VSSF Swift.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you taken any animals with the 60 partition? im not a big fan of heavily constructed bullets in any caliber for any game but i would think a 22 cal would be different pushed at higher velocities. Im a firm believer in tranfering all the energy from the bullet to the animal. Its nice to have a wound channel that passes all the way through for a blood trail but for me its always been if it fragments and destructs on the inside the shock always stops the animal and their is no need for a blood trail. Speed kills.

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't talk to the 60 Gr. partiton. But we went to Idaho for Rockchucks two years ago now. The 50 Gr V-Max with a Max load of 4064 will give you some real air time at 364 yards.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yall have any kind of problems with the swift brass? I never have had a swift but i think im about to get one. Ive heard problems with having to trim alot and such. I guess you'd expect that in a case of this shape. Does necksizing dramatically help with the trimming issues?

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I switched from a Swift to a .22/250 was when I really learned about cases stretching .Pain in the bum and one reason why I no longer have a .22/250 .I'd have another Swift anytime .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote