THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: early report on Blue Dot in 223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: early report on Blue Dot in 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
10 gr Blue Dot 60 gr moly PP, CCI400, .223, Ruger #1, 2050 fps

I had wind and a loose scope mount, so I only tried it at 50m:

.7" 5 shot [me]

.4" 3 shot [I had someone else shoot it]

I stood back to listen for how loud it was.

It sounded like a 22 rimfire long rifle 1200 fps 40 gr.

When I put my headphones on, and the real 223 ammo started, it was louder than the Blue Dot loads with the headphones off!

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been experimenting with 5744 in my 223 and I like it but it doesn't group as well as I would like so I would like to try blue dot. However I do have some questions for the experienced. I have a large surplus of Nosler 55 grain BT and would like to use those, what do you think? Do you use a small rifle or pistol primer? And finally what is a good range of powder to start with? I greatly appreciate any and all responses. Thank you

Posts: 66 | Location: WASHINGTON | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think once I get my "normal" load developed, I may try this. I don't do allot of rapid shooting, but the noise reduction would definitely help around the area I live. What kind of noise reductions are we talking? 223 sounds like a 22LR? 22-250 sounds like a 22Mag?

Also, what are the mins and maxes I should use if Blue Dot was used in both the 223 and 22-250? I saw different loads, but no real established range. Just want to stay safe...

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote