THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Finnaly another load for my Roberts.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finnaly another load for my Roberts.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to point out 1st that I have 2 rifles in .257 R. My custom springfield is a tack driver and a beauty to boot.
But this post is about my little Ruger M2 RL.
Long ago I found a great deer load for it shooting a barnes 100 gr t-shock over 46 grains of H-414, at about MOA and 3100 Fps.
In this little 20 inch ultra light rifle with its excelent 2.5X8 leupold scope. As far as I am concerned I have a truly excelent deer combo.
It carries like a 30/30 and handels quick for fast shots but shoots well enough to take deer out to about 300 to 350.
But untill today I could not find any other load that was even decent. most every thing I tried was 2" or more at 100. And those barnes load ain't cheap for just shootin for fun.
Well today I tried a few new loads and I think I am on to somthing. 36 grains of IMR-4064 drove 4, 117 grain Sierra flat base bullets
into a 1 inch group at 100 yards. now one group does not mean that much but it is a good indicator. Also the bullets hit right on the bull at 100. My barnes load shoots dead on at 200 so with the sierra load I think I can let my hunting buddies 12 yr old shoot her deer and use my barnes load for myself. with out changing zero.
She could proably shoot my barnes load well enough but there is quite a blast with that one, and the sierra load is real tame.
I would expect 2600 or so from the 117 grain sierra and that should be great ot to 200yds I would think. ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try the 75 gr. Sierra hp with Ramshot Hunter or H4895. Works real well in both Ruger .257 Standard Rifles I load for. About 3500 fps and real accurate.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the 90 grain sierra HP in both of my Roberts rifles, but the results were real poor. In fact its the only bullet I shot through my custom springfield that shoot poorly.
But I want to try it in my .25,06. If it shoote strait I ought to be able to hit at long range with my 26 inch barrel. Just a plinking load or coyotes...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
The few people that I know who have rugers chambered in 257 Roberts all have had trouble with the lighter ie shorter bullets. Almost all have had great luck with the 115-120gr bullets. The barns is longer very simular to the 120's in length, and that is why they likely shoot better. Check out what rate of twist your barrel is and it may be that the twist rate will not stabelize shorter lighter bullets. The 115gr nosler BT is what I use in my bob for deer. It works very well. The 120gr partition would be great on game up to 300lbs or so in my way of thinking.

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting itchy for hunting season !
In a couple weeks i will take off into the mountins with my little Roberts and mabyse either my 06 or my .270, I will be shooting at paper plates at varios ranges.
Gott be ready for the 1st week in october...tj3006

freedom1st