THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone shooting the new 6.8 ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shooting the new 6.8 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Was thinking about a low recoil short yardage rifle and this one came to mind, I know it gets big press with the Military buffs but wondered if anyone is shooting it and what your on the ground experiences are with it?
I was thinking of 2 completely divergent projects if the feedback is positive, #1 idea is a Mini Mauser in 6.8 with a little compact scope. Idea #2 is a Mini-14 convert to 6.8 with a little heavier barrel in 20" length.
Mostly daydreaming but thats how I usually start!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
The 6.8 SPC absolutely deserves to be chambered in the CZ 527 Carbine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was pretty interested in it, until I actually got to take a look at a loaded round....It just didn't "look right".... kinda like a 223, with big hopes....

I can download a larger cartridge to do the same thing....

I could be talked into necking a 223 case to 6.5 mm a lot more easily....

I passed up on it myself.... I'd rather see the old 30 Rem case around to do some wildcatting with....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 carbine in 7.62x39 that was rebarrelled to 6.5 Grendel (6.5 PPC improved) by Brockman's Rifles. It wears a Burris 2x to 7x compact scope in CZ rings.

www.65grendel.com

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i built several 6.8's on mini mausers. i still have the one i built for my son. it is in a laminate stock and a burris 3x9 compact on it. it shoots real good and he likes it. we haven't killed anything with it. it weighs in at 7 lbs 6 ozs loaded.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, it'd be a perfect fit for the CZ 527. However, it doesn't look like CZ will make any unless they change their mind.

Cut and pasted below is the info I got from them back on April 21st.

It looks like the market has turned away from the 6.8 at least for the
time
being. Though Hornady is doing a run of the ammo. We have postponed
our
production run of the 6.8 indefinitely.

Jason Morton
Marketing/Public Relations
CZ-USA
P.O.Box 171073
Kansas City, KS 66117-0073
1-800-955-4486
http//www.cz-usa.com

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
How about 7mm br.

Posts: 6488 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
richj, SECOND THAT OPINION!!! The 7mmBR is without a doubt a USABLE whittail, carry varminter, easy on the shoulder, ........not to mention somewhat of an accurracy freak cartridge!! Why nobody ever picked up on it is beyond me!! Brass availabilty??? Mot a problem if the popularity rose!! Everybody would make some!! Easy to load for?????? YES!! 28.5 grains of Reloader 7 and whatever 120 grain bullet whatever flavor(Sierra, Nosler, Hornady) trips your trigger for it's intended game would get my nod!! A superbly accurrate, unoffensive 7mm!!!!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote