Tools

6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted
Is anybody hunting with one?

If so:
What are your thoughts and observations about it.
What loads have you tried and how do you evaluate the performance on game.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot coyote with mine. I have used the Nosler 100gr and 120gr ballistic tip as well as the 120gr Sierra pro hunter. All coyotes were dead at the shot. Nothing spectacular as far as exits. My AR has a 16" barrel and I can only get 2400ish with the 120s. Haven't tried CFE 223 yet. I hear it's the powder of choice.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't used the Grendel, but I often hunt with a similar AR round, the 6.8 spc. I've taken several deer and many hogs with this cartridge using the Barnes 95 grain TTSX handloaded at 2900 fps, (20" Shilen ratchet rifled. 4 groove 1-11" twist barrel).

Put the bullet where it needs to go and the animal drops. Only one deer required a follow up shot, that was on me, not the rifle.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I have shot a couple of whitetail deer with my .264 LB, which is essentially the same round as the 6.5 Grendel. I use a 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip bullet and the load data in the Nosler manual for the Grendel, and the deer I have shot with this load have dropped in their tracks.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had shot some whitetails by grendel with 100gr and 120gr B-tip. Bullets has loaded by full power what can get (sorry i dont now remember excatly velocity). All whitetails has run minimun 50-60 meter after shot and some allmost 200 meter before fell down. I shot allways just behind shoulder trought of lungs. Grendel are enough for kill its sure but its better be snow on ground or good dog for tracking of animal. Here in Finland we hunt white tails mainly of feeding places so shooting distance are mainly about 50m and its time to wait good position before shoot.

Stalins 2 biggest nightmare -If chinese learn fight like Finnish or Finnish start makes baby like Chinese...

Posts: 73 | Location: Finland | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have moved it to my pig and varmint gun...I built mine too heavy in a AR platform...it will shoot to 500-600 without issue but hard to pack around. My Encore on the other hand is becoming a fav with me on my Ranger and Mule..

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of my immediate friends use it for deer. Two have killed deer past300 yards with no issues and a 20 yard blood trail. A friends daughter shot a buck at 415 during the youth hunt this year, nice8 point. That one made it 30 yards before tipping over. Favorite bullets are the 100 and 120 bt's and the 100 gr ttsx.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote