THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I just bought a Sauer 202 in 25'06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just bought a Sauer 202 in 25'06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I already have a 25'06 but bought this Sauer sight unseen does anyone use a Sauer 202? What do you think about it?

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.c...s-Ft-sauer-202-25-06

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sauer 202 is a great rifle...probably the smoothest bolt action since the 1950s Mannlicher-Schoenauers. They are accurate as well, and the switch-barrel feature makes them quite versatile. I've owned 5 or 6 Sauer 202 rifles from 6.5x55 through the 375. You'll love it.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
We love ours it's a 9.3x62/308. I am going to buy a couple more, I like them a lot.

Prices are starting to go up on them. Time to buy them is now.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Sauer 202's for some years, but have both mine up for sale due to new double rifle purchase.

Smoothest action and I think as reliable as anything else out there. I've never seen a improper feed with a Sauer.

Both mine are wood stocks in .270 and a two barrel set in .375H&H and .300WinMag. If you or any of your friends got to have another, please take a look at them on Gunsinternational under the listing "Feather & Fly."

My guns are older that yours and will have a slightly smoother action. The new models with the corrosion proofing are not quite as smooth.

Best of luck with that gun, they're a great product.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, if you're tired of boring accuracy, you're making the right move to a double. You'll be praying for 5" groups at 100 yards :-)

(stirring the DR pot)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mike, if you're tired of boring accuracy, you're making the right move to a double. You'll be praying for 5" groups at 100 yards :-)

(stirring the DR pot)

Jon,

Normally I would concur with you. But after shooting this DR for two days in a row, and seeing the results, I'm not so sure.

No, the accuracy won't match the Sauer 202's, but damn it's good.

I was down at the Merkel distribution center picking up a .470 for a customer, and Einar said that had taken in a .375 extractor gun that was originally imported by Safari Outfitters I think. I had seen the gun on the internet years ago and loved the wood on it.

This gun has the old linseed type oil finish, hogsback comb, non-shadow line cheekpiece, and extractors with minimal engraving. It's as plain a Merkel as you've ever seen.

Well they made me a hell of a deal on it. I had them install the Recknagel swing out mounts, put a fiber optic front blade on the front, and starting running Federal factory ammo through it yesterday.

This is the most accurate DR I've ever seen. at 100 yards throught the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40, it shot 1" groups. At 40 yards with open sights, 1" groups with my poor eyesight and many were in the bull.

This will be my go to rifle for most of my hunting except long range stuff and varmits from now on.

Good shooting and hunting. By the way, the Zeiss red-dot is going on my JP Sauer Drilling.

Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, a DR that does a 1" group at 100 yards is a keeper, for sure. Wow...not many of them around. Good all-around caliber as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, a DR that does a 1" group at 100 yards is a keeper, for sure. Wow...not many of them around. Good all-around caliber as well.

Jon,

I would post target pictures, but I detest the system for posting pictures. You know, I've often complained about the weight of the Merkel in .375; thought it was too heavy. But after shooting 30 rounds through over the past two days, with very light recoil, maybe I've been wrong all along. 10.5 lbs exactly.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Border Barrels in Scotland does custom barrels, and so does a guy in Austria. I think his name is Styria.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Sauer S202 is one of the best rifle ever made ! I bought mine in 2006 and it’s one of my favourite hunting rifle....the action is incredibly smooth and accuracy is amazing.....I have a barrel in 30-06 and 9.3x62 and an extra synthetic “soft tough” stock for crappy weather, and 2 S&B scopes; 1.5-6 and 2.5-10.

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do I find a 9.3c62 barrel?

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom ga hunter:
How do I find a 9.3c62 barrel?

Contact Lee at Blaser USA in Texas. Last time I checked I think he had some 9.3x62 barrels. If not he can order one for you from Austria. New barrels are over $1000, closer to $1200 I think.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own/have owned a total of 6 200/202 Sauers. I have never seen such consistently accurate production guns. As a good used gun, they would have to be one of the best values on the market IMO.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

(stirring the DR pot)

Heck, I have trouble with a DB shotgun!

Posts: 16133 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote