New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 WeeBee
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can anyone give me information on the 257 weatherby is this a good small game round, what size limitations are there on it? I may be able to purchase a broken stocked rifle and re stock it cheap would it be worth it to add a light varmite and small game gun to my collection?

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that it would be a little over kill just to use on small game would make a good deer varmit rig. If if is mainly going to be used as a varmit deer rig a bit big put getting a good deal on something to play with I would buy if just for the fun of it. But remember wby brass is a lot more expenseive .

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A .257Wby will be very destructive on small game, wrecking meat and hides like you wouldn't believe.

It's a great deer/antelope/coyote/'chuck round, but it will burn out the throat quickly under sustained high rate of fire on prairie dogs and ground squirrels.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This round is a great killer, but should not be used on anything you want to eat!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking like a longer range, 1-3 shot group for dogs, wolf, coyote, deer *doubtful* and other things I just want to take out.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote