Find
Notify
Tools

5.7 X 28 BOLT GUN
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ALONG THE LINES OF A 22MAG THAT I CAN RELOAD FOR. HEIN WILL BUILD ME A BOLT GUN IN THIS CAL OR I MIGHT CONVERT A WIN 43 WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. I ALLREADY SHOOT THE 5.7X28 IN A HANDGUN SO IT WOULD BE CONVINENT FOR ME.ANYONE DONE THIS YET?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a CZ527 in 22 Hornet might be converted? Seems like a lot of work and expense to create a rifle less capable than the original though... Have considered having a barrel made for a Contender carbine?

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
IM NOT SURE LES CAPABLE IS CORRECT IT JUST HAS A DIFFERENT PURPOSE THIS IS TO REPLACE 22 MAG NOT ANYTHING FASTER. THE CZ SOUNDS INTERESTING BUT NO SINGLE SHOTS. ID RATHER A LOW WALL IF THAT WERE THE DIRECTION.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
How about a CZ 527 in 221 Fireball??? Load it up with 40gr V-Max bullets on top of a reduced powder load http://www.accuratereloading.com/221rfb.html... See near the bottom of the page for reduced loads. The cases last forever, the rifle has a capacity of 6 and it's damn accurate right out of the box. You can surely take the long road to get there with a 5.7 x 28 or quick and painless with reduced 221 loads. Enjoy thumb

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a 527 Action. Greg Tannel will make it feed. Probably be more like a 22 Hornet than a 22mag. Necked down to 17cal it is awesome. 10grains of powder to go over 3400fps with a 20grn ball. Ask for Foxhunter or Bobd on saubier. They got all the info you can need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was also fantasizing about something like this. An Ideal platform might be the Savage Model 40 with accutrigger, already chambered in .22 Hornet, and you don't need to fuss with a magazine. Most likely just slap on a new barrel.

Now I know there is a civilian verson of the P90, but I doubt it will venture into CA. If someone would make a tidy semi-auto that takes the FiveseveN mags and about the size of Rugers PC carbine.

I would love to see a .17x28 but then, just go for that HK 4.6x30mm...or perhaps good old 7.62x25 (with .22 sabot)?

I love pea-shooters!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crusher, what you're looking for is called the .22 CCM. Originated by Cooper as a reloadable cartridge with .22 Mag energy levels, +/-. They also make guns chambered for it, and anybody making barrels for the Contender can chamber one for you.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
DAN I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE CCM BUT I THINK I WANT TO SHOOT THE SAME ROUND OUT OF MY PISTOL AND RIFLE ON THIS ONE AND I REALY LIKE MY FN FIVESEVEN.

THE WINCHESTER 53 IS A GOOD ONE BUT HARD TO FIND I ORDERED A 527 IN 22 HORNET AND PLAN TO CONVERT IT.

THANK YOU BLUEPUMA I HAVE NOT SEEN A SAVAGE MODEL 40 RECENTLY BUT WILL TAKE A LOOK

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Crusher:
I'm workin on getting this same thing started now.
Just sent a note to a guy with reamers. Soon as I get a reply on cost will let you know.

BUT: it will be the 28 case necked down to .17 cal.
They call it: 4.4x28mm.

I got a reamer print sent from foxhunter to work from. His e'm is: robert380@centurytel.net. Or like mentioned above contact him on Saubier.com.

Where in Tex?? Sure burnin up the grass down there. Hell of a loss all those people and stock.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6020 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
If your heart is not set on a bolt gun, a T/C Contender carbine barrel would get you there without breaking the bank.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Im down here on the coast it rains like 60 inches a year no fire here not even any smoke.

I dont like the single shots and not overly worried about the money right now its about 1000 for the cz and about 3700 for a hein will try the cz let you know if it works.

also found that a win 43 in 22 hornet magazine is perfect and dont realy need to adjust the bolt head much but they are more expensive than the cz 527.
if I was not wanting to have the pistol shoot the same rounds I would build the 17 I think

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where at on the coast??
Have some land near Edna.

The guy wants $125 for the .17x28mm reamer. Til I get the action and barrel, that's not on the list yet. Seems a bit high to me, but, guess it's about the going rate for gun reamers for some reason.

Check out: www.saubier.com, forum. Some great posts about it on there and a fine article by Foxhunter about it, has quite a list of loads too.

Haven't heard, but, I'd expect those grass fires are out from this snow we sent that way the last few days.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6020 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
MIdway has a reamer for 117 waiting on cz 527 to arive and be measured for this project ruger in 22 mag may work with a mag adaptor for the five seven pistol mag.

im way down here in the south east corner with the coonass and aligators

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway's reamer is for the 5.7, I want the 4.4/.17 cal.

Swamper huh?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
got a grinder?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
ok guys the cz 527 in 22 hornet mag will work as is and the bbl is a simple set back and re chamber but im gomma have to rebuild the bolt head probably adjust the extractor as well but real doable gauges and reamer should be here tomorrow and might get finished in a week or so

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
ok guys the cz 527 in 22 hornet, mag will work as is and the bbl is a simple set back and re chamber but im gomma have to rebuild the bolt head probably adjust the extractor as well but real doable gauges and reamer should be here tomorrow and might get finished in a week or so

Please keep the board posted on your progress. I too am interested in this project and have been eying the Hornet rifles as a platform to modify. As for the performance of the 5.7 from a bolt action?? I figure it can possibly equal the Hornet with reloads. People forget that the factory rounds are designed to function in the P-90, which is a blowback action. The Five-seveN is at least a delayed blowback. With a solid lockup the pressure can be bumped back up to real rifle pressures. Even without reloading the velocities from a 20+" barrel should be well over 22 mag velocities. And the rounds will not take up as much room in the mag well as the Hornets do.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
ok only have to set back the bbl about 3/8 to work this the five seven case is bigger than the hornet all the way down so thats easy. the magazine is just right I even have room for longer bullets if I want. the bolt will need to be closed up and extractor adjusted but im thinkin about soft soldering in a spacer instead of boring out and replacing the bolt face. the feed almost works now just need to lower the ramp a fraction im so fired up about this project.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
ok done and it works great no chrono yet raining like hell and flooded here "man i love the swamp life" this thing is cooler than the other side of the pillow and has plenty of magazine for longer bullets and I am thinking of going to a 1 in 7 bbl for sub sonic use with heavy bullets 75 gr or more to kill hogs supressed

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I download a winchester featherweight in 223 down to 22 mag levels...

with a Weaver 2 x 7 rimfire scope on it, it is a light easy to carry package.. yet has more class to it than say a Marlin or a Ruger 77/22 in 22 Mag ( I have one of those also)....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I used a remington 223 downloaded but it was not consistant because of too much case volume this one is much better volume to bore ratio anyway im real happy with it so far I just put a leupold 2-7 on this thing today

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Crusher. Sounds like the route I would go as well. Please, find a chronograph as I think these folks that keep refering to "22 mag" performance will be real surprised at your results. How did you finally decide to tackle the bolt face issue?

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
started by opening the bolt face with a 3/16 carbide end mill then soft soldered a spacer in place the correct head demension cut off the end of the extractor claw and made a new one soldered it on and re shaped works fine

the 1 in 14 bbl does not like the factory bullet lead free is to long same profile as the ss109 so light weight conventional bullets suitable for the hornet will work a lot better or you could start with a 1 in 9 bbl making dies now still raining like hell here everything flooded at the range

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
First load data tried this weekend with both 35 gr. v max and 40 gr balistic tip both over 10.5 grains of 4227 35 gr at 2700 and 40 at 2600 average this is almost a compressed load it fills the case all the way to the neck worked up from 7 gr. and stoped just short of compresion of powder no presure sighn at all primers still round on edges neck started to seal good at 10 grains but 10.5 was very cosistant cci small rifle primers the balistic tip loads like a dream with its boat tail and has a cool burnt orange tip that i realy like the look of this round it shot about 1.5 in off hand at 50 yds and explodes turtles the 35 gr. v max is pure pain in the ass to load flat base tiny bullit hard to keep straight but shoots ok and will turn aples from my orchard into apple sauce

the rifle is a 21 in cz 527 american formerly in hornet with a 14 twist bbl.

this rifle was built to be a reloadable 22 mag for smal game hunting and it has exceded my expectations nicely I am useing standard hornet data now and find it to work fine the round is less tempermental more efficient and has much tougher brass than the hornet I made it from

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
First load data tried this weekend with both 35 gr. v max and 40 gr balistic tip both over 10.5 grains of 4227 35 gr at 2700 and 40 at 2600 average this is almost a compressed load

You might try searching for 4.4x28, 17 Velociraptor, 5mm Shrike, 5 x 28, 17 x 28, etc. over on Saubiers board. These are a couple I drug up se4arching the past 500 days. Might give a lead on a more effective powder.

http://www.saubier.com/board/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/smallcal...=3333343730&v=2&gV=0

http://www.saubier.com/board/anyboard.cgi?fvp=/smallcal...=3233393232&v=2&gV=0

- Marcus Aurelius -

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Not a bolt gun, but Rhineland has posted pics of their prototype autoloader in 5.7x28 that theyu are planing to introduce soon.

with a "converted" 30 carbine mag and

with a 10 rd Five-seveN pistol mag (20s will also fit)

- Marcus Aurelius -

posted Hide Post
Vibe & Crusher,
I have 3 rifles, that are beening built on or around the 5.7x28 case.
17x28 case,(17 Kitfox)
20x28 case,(5mm Shrike)
5.7x28 standard case

I used the Rem action, Rogervich and I designing a 10+ rd magazine,
and magazine holder to these rifles,
as soon as everything is working,
the conversion info will be listed on Saubier site and here also.

Here is some possible load data info,
obtained from the QL program for the 5.7x28 FN case.

These are estimates of possible load data, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK>
35gr Horn Vmax .224 dia
OAL Loaded case length of 1.550"
20" BBL
Powder--------AMT---Vel-----PSI------Ballistic Eff.
AA1680--------12.0--2624fps-30031psi-23.6%
Blue Dot-------9.0--2918fps-40527psi-35.1%
2400----------10.0--2553fps-39699psi-33.6%
H110----------12.0--2878fps-35381psi-27.3%
H4227---------11.0--2677fps-31059psi-26.2%
R123----------10.0--2978fps-36751psi-36.1%
Ram Enforcer--10.0--2778fps-32615psi-31.4%
VN 110--------10.0--2847fps-31561psi-32.8%
Win 296-------12.0--2923fps-33314psi-26.9%

On the 40gr bullets start at least 1.0gr lower,
than the above listed amounts.

As soon as my reamer gets here from D Kiff,(by this Friday)
I'll chamber the bbls and set up the chronos for actual load data info.
Let me know if you need anything else,
more later,
nvreloader

"Any person that fears me owing a firearm, I fear that person"

Posts: 46 | Location: Lovelock,Nevada | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thank you for the info. 11 gr of 4227 will not fit in that case these are good starting points but I think you are optimistic about case volume

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
first pig kills with the new rifle this weekend at 100 yds the 40 grain balistic tip went through and through on 3 pigs. bang flop drt two small ones and one about 50 lbs also whacked a coon with it and it drt him as well.

bought some of the new factory 40 gr vmax and will velocity test it if it is close to my load I will step up to faster powder like lilgun and pump the rifle up some more

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
new factory 40 gr v max came in at a disapointing 2100 fps thumbdown

but it is the 22mag everyone has been talikong about

off to faster powders need to see what 3000 looks like on this case

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
new factory 40 gr v max came in at a disapointing 2100 fps thumbdown

but it is the 22mag everyone has been talikong about

off to faster powders need to see what 3000 looks like on this case

Isn't it supposed to do better than that from pistol length barrels? I would have sworn that a rifle barrel would have shown some improvement, after all even the 22 mag is faster from rifle barrels.

- Marcus Aurelius -

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
yeah you would think that it would. not sure why but they keep watering down the load on theese at the factory.

for the factory 40 gr fn does not list a velocity

maybe the 21 in bbl is to long and draging on the bullet after the powder has done its best

but looking at what is left to be tested 3000 is not realy unrealistic. I am using standard hornet load data now and the start load is faster than the velo. listed for the max hornet load in the book.

admitedly it is higher presure and smaller case volume but just barely

just as a side note if you build one of these use a 1 in 9 bbl for better results my 1 in 14 is to slow for the light bullets in the pistol loads.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeah you would think that it would. not sure why but they keep watering down the load on theese at the factory.

Probably due to the blow back action limitations with the P-90.

quote:
maybe the 21 in bbl is to long and draging on the bullet after the powder has done its best

Possibly, but I doubt it, since I can get 1850fps with the same bullet from a MUCH smaller case and a 21" tighter bore barrel with the 22 Epperson Cricket. 1650fps with the 45gr bullets.

quote:
but looking at what is left to be tested 3000 is not realy unrealistic. I am using standard hornet load data now and the start load is faster than the velo. listed for the max hornet load in the book.

Not surprising, what with the differences in case capacities.

quote:
just as a side note if you build one of these use a 1 in 9 bbl for better results my 1 in 14 is to slow for the light bullets in the pistol loads.

1:9 might be better for the "long for weight" factory composite bullets, but 1:14 should be plenty for the V-max and other bullets of a more "standard" construction.

- Marcus Aurelius -