New
Find
Notify
Tools

More .243......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Nosler BallisticTip bullets, the SSTs seem to behave best if launched below 3000 fps. Without the Nosler's solid base they may not penetrate as well, but then they are not designed to optimize penetration. At lower impact velocities they seem to work better, either low MV or long range hits. I had excellent results with the 200 SST on hogs out of my .338 WM - but they were downloaded to 2400 fps MV.

With Hornadys, high velocities or close range = InterBonds or InterLocks. Simple.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Jason,

I was curious what your results were going to be. I just returned yesterday from a 14 day safari myself. I got to see some SST and cup and core bullets in action from other members of my party.

One guy accidentally packed some 55 gr varmint bullets for his 243 and didn't realize his mistake until he got to Cape Town for some site seeing before his hunt started. So, he picked up some 95 gr SST bullets, which were all that we're available. He wounded an impala. During the subsequent follow up the impala was taken down with an SST to the neck at 100 yards. The SST bullet didn't exit the neck and the core had separated from the cup being found on the opposite side against the skin. We also got a chance to cull a few impala which an impala was hit squarely on the shoulder, broadside at 40 yards. An hour of searching later with 3 dogs and 11 guys, not a single drop of blood was found. These results once again confirm my previous thoughts on the SST bullet. Probably fine for punching paper or varmints.

The other guy was shooting a 308 Win with 150 gr Remington Core-Lokts. First day out, shot a blue wildebeest 4 times but still never recovered the animal. Little blood was found and the dogs eventually lost the track. Fast forward a couple days and a kudu bull was shot at 110 yards squarely in the should as the impact was witnessed thru the binos by the PH. Once again a few drops of blood but no recovered kudu. The only animals recovered that we're shot via this combination were two impala and a warthog. This makes me suspect the issues were with animals size and sufficient penetration. The two larger animals were not recovered while the three small animals were.

This reiterates the need to use properly constructed bullets. The cost of a bullet when going on an expensive trip should never be a hindrance in the grand scheme of a safari in my opinion.

I hope you had a great time!!!

Graybird:

We did have a great time! My croc and bush pig were my favorite parts of my hunt. Also, my kids experiencing Africa was a lifetime experience for me.

No doubt, the bullets have issues. There is no doubt in my mind.

My wife shot a kudu at about 200-250 yards. The hit looked solid and the kudu hunched down and took off, at what I thought was a quick death run.

We tracked it for about 350 yards before ANY blood was found. The dog finally caught up to it and held it at bay. We had probably tracked it for about 3/4's of a mile.

After a few finish shots, we found that the first hit was a low shoulder, great shot!

My kudu left little blood as well. However, the running shot I took was far from perfect Roll Eyes

Send me your email and I'd be glad to send you some pics of our animals (if you'd like).

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago a gun writer got the first batch of the tsx 75gr bullets for 243.
I know he shot one and possibly two (mule deer IIRC) does nose to tail with that bullet in a 243 win.
Complete pen with bullet under skin in one ham.

I don't believe penetration will be an issue...lol.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote