New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Rem Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using Varget behind my 25 gr. HPs, and am just now feeling the inclination to use 30 grainers or try a different powder. Does anyone have a favorite 17 Rem powder?

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Reloader#7 or 3031.

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded 17 Rem in a few years, but I have used IMR 4064 and IMR 4320!
I don't remember what the powder weights were, but both powders shot quite well!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 760 with the 30 grain Berger, very accurate.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I've had my best luck in several 17 Rems with H-414. I think maybe its because it meters so well.

knobmtn

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get excellent accuracy from my Remington 700BDL in .17Rem. with 24.2gr. of IMR4320 and the Hornady 25gr HP.
Recently I've been using the Berger 25gr. HP, and it has printed 5 shot groups for me of .264" with Varget 23.0grs. I just started using VV133 and am expecting good results there also as it's a very accurate powder in benchrest circles. I try to kep most of my loads around 3900fps. to make life a little easier on the barrel. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My load for 30 gr. Starke Red Prairie Varmint bullets is 24.6 gr. of VVN540 (work your way up to that charge weight). I have also used Varget and H4895 with the 30 gr. bullets with some success.

When you select the brand of bullet you are goint to use, you might want to ask the manufacturer what their recommended loads might be. I know Walt Berger shared some of his ranges of powder charges with me a while back. There are also several Web sites that list powder charges for 30 gr. bullets as well. As always, start low and work your charge weights up. All rifle chambers are not created equal and what doesn't cause a pressure problem in my rifle might be dangerous in yours.

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote