New
Find
Notify
Tools

260Rem or 6.5/284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering building a 6.5 for Alberta deer and intend on developing a load based around the 130 Berger VLD. That I can use Lapua brass in the 6.5/284 is a positive as is its extra velocity over the 260 Rem. The efficiency of the 260 and the shorter action are also positives.

Anyone care to share their point of view of which to choose?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just never saw the advantage of a wildcat caliber in a hunting rifle especially when you have great commercial calibers either side of the wildcat. Wildcats are fine for bench guns or special purpose situations. Your choice of the 260 is excellent and consider the use of the 125gr Partition or the 130 Accubond which will take any North American deer. If you think you need additional power go to the 264 Winchester.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
I just never saw the advantage of a wildcat caliber in a hunting rifle especially when you have great commercial calibers either side of the wildcat. Wildcats are fine for bench guns or special purpose situations.

30378, I agree with you, but which of the calibers in question is a wildcat??

Personally, assuming I had the right action for a 6.5-284, the availability of best brass (Lapua), excellent selection of high quality dies (due to competition heritage), as well as the higher velocity compared to the .260 would push me gently towards the 6.5-284.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
30378 put it succinctly, I killed a small buck tonight, DRT, 130 abond, 250 paces high center mass hit, excellent expansion exit wound shown, plenty energy/velocity and bullet will hold up on heavier bone if needed as the 125, and others.

If you can hit the vitals, the 260/6.5x55 will be effective to 500-600 yds if used in a sporter i.e. 22" or better bbl. Carbines i.e. 18" will suffer some range/trajectory.

If you can shoot, ANY/ALL bullets/cartridges will drop fast at longer range, range finders and target knobs will get your bullet on target if you do your job and no cartridge can eliminate the need for that, so I say a 260 is more than one needs for most any sane range on deer, with shot placement.

Some like to turn their crank w/something different, nothing wrong with that, but I am not convinced anything is gained by a measurable difference in the field with a 284 case, just my opinion.

Those who are experienced have dropped deer over 600 yds w/140 amax from 260/260 AI. I just don't think a 6.5/284 will do much more or better.

That said, I don't think many 6.5 shooters ever had much dissatisfaction. Barrel life suffers as you go to larger cases of course.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what 6.5BR said. The 260 Remington is the "left behind to help itself" cartridge by Remington, same as the 6mmRemington of earlier times. Both cartridges are easy to load for, offer shooters great accuracy and efficiency but both got passed over by their company! And the 300SAUM is another of their "had a good thing but let it die" offerings!
Back to the point at hand, after you put 15-1700 rounds down the tube using that "fine" lapua brass and stressing for all the velocity you can get, get yourself another barrel while if you had so chosen the 260 barrel would probably still be performing at twice or three times that number.........while using mundane brass of Remington, not to mention the 308, 7mm-08 or .243Win brass that you can "make fit". Just my 2cents worth. GHD PS: Never shot any deer with Berger VLD's and probably won't! VLD's in my estimation are not hunting bullets! They are spectacular for accuracy and small group sizes at long range in a myriad of chamberings! HOWEVER.........I would have no problem tomorrow AM shooting a 140 Hornady AMAX from a .260 Remington into a deer at extended range and expecting pretty darn good bullet performance!(But tomorrow I will have my daughters .260 loaded with 100gr Nosler BT's at 3304 and the long shot will be 200 yards)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
260!! The 6.5-284 is a great round, but it won't really do more than the 260 can do, and you can do it cheaper, carry more rounds in your mag, etc. However, if you just want a 6.5-284 then do it. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Split the diff. & go 260ai. It fits nicely in a SA. You can use factory 260 ammo in a pinch & it makes a heck of a deer/antelope round w/ a 125grNP @ 3000fps.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a whole lot of difference between the two. Obviously you reload, so the whole "wildcat vs factory" debate is a moot point, especially considering the 6.5-284 IS considered a factory round. Produced by Norma and by Nosler, correct brass and loaded ammunition.

If you're building this rifle from the action up, then it comes down to the best deal on a good action you like. If you find a smoking deal on a 30-06 based action, then do the 6.5-284, if you find a deal that can't be beat on a 308 based action, do the .260 Rem.

About the only difference you would see, would be on the 140+ bullets, being able to seat them a bit farther out with the 6.5-284 since you'd have the longer action. The 284 CAN be put into a short action, but then you'll start intruding on usable powder capacity due to the long 6.5 bullets. Also, you'd be a lot better off with the 6.5-284 with a 24" or longer barrel, so take that into consideration as well. The Rem could probably be fine in a shorter barrel.

To make things even more confusing, a 6.5x55 would also basically fit into this trio of 264's that all pretty much do the same thing.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 6.5 rifles include..
6.5x55 T3 Tikka w/laminated stock & SS..8 twist w/Nikon 3-12

260 Rem on Savage FP trued action w/9 twist Pac Nor barrel 26" x .930"..Choate Varminter & 4200 4-16..weighs around 14#

260 AI on a s/shot Savage action w/nutless Pac Nor barrel (26" x 1.230") 8 twist...Choate Varminter & 4200 6-24 Tactical...weighs in around 19#..

All are exceptional shooters..the 6.5x284 has very little over the 260(s)...other than a bigger appettite...my 260 AI pushes a 142 moly SMK out at 2925 fps on a mere charge of 46/RE19..plenty of room in the 260 case for 142s..I use Lapua..IMI..Hornady match 308 brass reformed to 260..I had both of my Pac Nor bbl's built short throated to grow into the long 142s..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Its been covered by the other forum members above...

I own 3 diff 260s...and 3 diff 6.5 x 55s

also in building a long range match rifle...I had the unique opportunity to play with match rifles in 6.5/284, 6.5/06, 6.5/06AI, that belonged to friends...

In the end I ended up building a 6.5 x 57 on a long action Model 70 Action, with a 28 inch Pac Nor barrel with a one in 7 twist...It gave all the performance the other cartridges were famed for...

IN comparing my 260 Rem VLS vs the 6.5/284 I got to play with on 722 action... same barrel length, my 260 Rem chorongraphed the same as the 6.5/284 with about any bullet weight...

6.5/284 makes a cool target round, just because it looks cool and different..

for practicality, go with the 260 Rem...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote