New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for 218 Bee
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have two Winchester model 43 in 218 Bee. Have plenty of brass but bullets are scares. I have several boxes so Sierra 46 gr bullets for hornet. Regular .224 50 gr. bullets must be seated very deep to be cycled through the magazine box. Any other bullet suggestions?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Bulk W-W 46HP worked perfectly for my in my Ruger No.1 .218Bee. (Don't confuse these with .22 magnum projectiles).

They were very accurate and will be short enough to feed. They performed perfectly on all game up to 25kg liveweight.

If all else fails a Sierra SMP will work. Don't go above 50 grains as trajectory drops off over 100 metres.

Edit: Hornady made a projectile for the Bee in lever guns and it was quite accurate as well.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I have been using the 40 Grain Sierra Hornet #1200, .224, in my Model 43. Along with IMR 4198, many groups are around .5" @ 100yds. Fits the magazine nicely, and is lights out on jack rabbits.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Jerry's reply on the 40 grain Sierra Hornet bullet. I think mine are the .223" diameter ones. They shot great in my Model 43, my Marlin 94CL, and my Ruger #1. They also shoot great in the three .220 Swifts I have tried them in.
Also, many years ago I bought a large number of W-W 40 grain HP .224" bullets. The also shoow well in my Ruger #1 Bee.
Even though They are a lttle heavy for the Bee's small case, I have never owned a .22 CF rifle that didn't shoot plain old Hornady 50 grain SX's really well.
On the downside, I haven't had much luck with the Hornady 35 grainer.
With the scarcity of components, you might want to latch on to any 50 grain or lighter .22 bullets you can find. If your rifle is accurate, you should be able to put together some combination of ingredients that make small groups.
Good luck. The Bee is a very enjoyable caliber and very inexpensive to shoot.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I have a lot of boxes of Sierra 46 gr. "Hornet" bullets as well as several Hornady 46 gr. Hornet bullets. I didn't know if at the higher velocity you can get with a Bee that the bullets might fragment coming out of the barrel? I'm not going to drive them real hard but was wondering. Thanks again.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I had my Bee for close to 23 years and I can say they certainly will not fragment.

The conventional 45 and 50 grain weights were used/are used, a lot in .222, .223 and even .220 Swift rifles for varminting without problems. If anything with the Bee, it is heavier projectiles that don't expand.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rabbits, small hogs, coyotes and others hate my Bee. The SXs turn rabbits inside out. The regular Hornadys have dropped many pigs and yotes.It is fun and cheap to load. I even loaded the 50g NBT for my #1.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote