THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    No. 1 Grizzly Killed with....?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No. 1 Grizzly Killed with....?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
At one relatively recent point of time, the No. 1 Grizzly in the B&C book was killed near Lesser Slave Lake in Alberta, Canada (by a woman shooter). Does anyone happen to remember the kind of rifle and the cartridge she used?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly it was 12 year old Belle Twin with her Stevens crackshot 22. Her and a little friend, Danny Auger 9???, were out hunting to get a couple grouse for mom's pot when they saw the bear wandering their way under the power lines They hid under a slash pile and yogi tried to sniff them out, she stuck the 22 in his ear and shot, down he went. Seems like this bruin held the B&C record for 12 years. Could be wrong though, I was only 4 or 5 when this took place Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a head shot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the shot, but the 1977 B&C book shows a larger bear shot the next year (1954) by a F. Nygaard.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
Now that's a head shot!

Hydrostatic shock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the telling of the story I read, she was/is Native American Indian and her grandfather was the tribe's bear killer. He used .22 Long Rifle in his single shot. Baited the bear to the brush pile when the tribe ask him to harvest a bear. She, however, a child, did not rate the expense of long rifle ammunition and all they gave her was .22 shorts. Old story. Probably standard velocity. She baited the bear to a "pile" like granddad showed her, shoved the gun into the bears mouth and put the bullet into the brain. Way my hand would be shaking, I would be lucky to hit an ear... oh well.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:
In the telling of the story I read, she was/is Native American Indian and her grandfather was the tribe's bear killer. He used .22 Long Rifle in his single shot. Baited the bear to the brush pile when the tribe ask him to harvest a bear. She, however, a child, did not rate the expense of long rifle ammunition and all they gave her was .22 shorts. Old story. Probably standard velocity. She baited the bear to a "pile" like granddad showed her, shoved the gun into the bears mouth and put the bullet into the brain. Way my hand would be shaking, I would be lucky to hit an ear... oh well.
Is that what U were lokking 4 AC? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iiranger:

Sounds like the Hollywood screenplay for the movie. rotflmo rotflmo Reality is she was on her trap line, hunting rabbits, with her single shot .22. She ran into the bear on the trail and keeping her head, filled his full of .22 shorts. Big Grin The Dave Auger referred to, was her trapping partner. One of her relatives has a lodge in that area and I'm often tempted to stop and find out what happened to the skull. when I was a kid, there was an exhibit in the Luxton museum in Banff, with pictures of the bullet riddled skull and rifle, held together with electricians tape.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the old joke.

One guy says "The bear is just afraid of you as you are of him."

Other: "I don't think so."

First: "Why?"

Other: "He did crap in his pants"

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be any of the above.

Where I ran across the tale again was a day or two ago in a 1989 issue of Rifle magazine. (It did not happen in '89, that is when the story I am referring to was printed in Rifle.)

There it states that she and several other kids were fishing together where a tributary runs into Lesser Slave Lake. They saw a big Grizz coming in their direction along the lake edge. They hid in a brush pile hoping the bear wouldn't notice them and would continue on his way. No such luck. So, with him 20 or 30 feet away and still coming more or less toward them, she fired at him with her single-shot bolt-action .22 LR and he went down like a sack of garbage. Don't recall where in the head Rifle editor says the bullet struck.

If anyone wants to read it, I will try to find it again and post the issue and page number. I found it interesting because at one time I did a little bit of guiding for moose in that very area, but never heard the story locally.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would like to read it, probably where I saw it in the first place, memmory isn't what it used to be, so my take on it probably a little off after 2 decades.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll try to find it and post an exact citation within the next day or two. Am having some problems related to surgeries at the moment, but will get to it as quickly as possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
Yes, I would like to read it, probably where I saw it in the first place, memmory isn't what it used to be, so my take on it probably a little off after 2 decades.

Well, so far your memory is proving a lot better than mine. I found the source you pretty likely referred to. It is on page 60 of the September/October 1989 edition of Rifle. But, so far I can't find the one I was referring to. It must have been somewhere other than in Rifle that I saw it.

The one you referred to does say she was grouse hunting. It also mentioned something another poster above had referred to....that after the bear dropped to the first shot, she (Bella Twin) moved up, placed the muzzle of her rifle within a few inches of the bear's head, and put another half-dozen or so .22 LR rounds into his skull just to make certain.

The writer, BTW, was Layne Simpson, and the article was titled "What 63 Dead Brown Bear Can Tell Us".

Will continue looking to see if I can find the one which referred to her and a bunch of other kids out fishing. (Not that it matters much. The point is still pretty obvious. When one isn't hunting for sport, it is still better to be armed with ANYTHING in bear country, even the weakest of small bores, and to do the best one can with what one has. If the animal either dies or suffers enough to leave one alone, those circumstances can be dealt with when one gets help.)

Best wishes, AC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC; seems like I was a Sports Afield and Outdoor Life subscriber back then, could've been there too. Scot