Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 wssm.
 Login/Join

posted
What are your thoughts on the 243wssm? I own one, a winchester coyote. I think it's junk but am wondering what other people's opinion is on it as I find it's shooting consistency very poor. I also find it feeds very poor.
thanks for any feedback I can get.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The round itself is a good one. Some of the guns Winchester produced for it, however, tend to be, for lack of better description, crap.

OVersized and misaligned chambers along with rough throats combine for poor accuracy potential.

But chambered properly, the round has the potential to be just as accurate as anything else in its class.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up an accuracy load for a fellow for two of the SSMs-a .223 and a .243. Both were brownings in synthetic stocks. After I figured out that the .243 didn't work well with handloads pumped to factory velocities it shot under an inch with 87 gr Hornady A-max pills at normal .243 velicities. The .223 shot OK too with lots less trouble. Wouldn't buy one myself as they are far more trouble than any perceived improvement in performance or "handiness". Ever put a tape measure on one of them to see how much you gain in less length of rifle? A myth perpetuated by gun writers.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I prefer the 25 WSSM, I have 4 of them, my Winchester 70 Stainless Ultimate Shadow in 243 WSSM is a good shooter. My Winchester will shoot the 95 grain SBT factory loads into MOA groups without only a little work on the trigger to make it lighter and crisper. I have been too busy shooting the 25 WSSM to have done any reloading for the 243 WSSM, but I'm looking forward to loading some 95 grain Partitions.

What style of Winchester 70 do you have? Would you be interested in selling it? I'm always looking for a project and I have a couple of air-gaged Douglas #3 contour barrels that could be installed on your SSM action (if you sold it to me).

My out of the box 22" barrel Winchester 70 Super Shadow in 25 WSSM is only a little longer than my 20" barrel Winchester 70 Lightweight Carbine in 250-3000. The 25 WSSM is a lot faster and just as handy, but it is not as light as a Remington 700 Ti short action.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote