New
Find
Notify
Tools

55gr Load for the 243 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a good load in the 243 using the 55gr nosler BT, and either Varget, H-4895, or RL-15. This load will be used in a tikka whitetail hunter that does very well with 85gr Game kings. I have heard that the 55gr BT is reasonably fur friendly, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. Any experiance with these little bullets?

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
< !--color--> Like Yardbird, I also use H 380. However, before Nosler's Number 5 manual came out, I was using 50 grains of H 380 with the 55 grain and 60 grain Sierra HP. Everyone kept on telling me I was nuts, and that it had to be way overloaded, and I was going to blow up my gun and blind myself. Then Nosler said to use even 3 more grains!

Shows you what all the "experts" know, they never worked up a load and tested it, they were just not finding the loads in the Safe section of their reload manuals.

I have found tho, the the difference in velocity in the 53 grain load or the 50 grains that I use is not existant. So 3 grains less in a case that is pretty full, gives a little more room.

I do find the 60 grain HP Sierra just as accurate, more terminal performance and Cheaper. By half in fact. Just passing on the economics, cheaper bullets, means only more shooting for the same costs. ( No one ever really lowers their shooting costs, they just shoot more for the same amount of budget!)

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thomas; Have you considered H414? 52.0 grains gives approximately 4000 fps with the Nosler 55 gr Ballistic tip.Accuracy is good with no signs of excessive pressure.

Posts: 19 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Browning Safari HB did exceedingly well with this bullet and IMR-4895. Don't have the exact powder weight here with me, but it wouldn't matter because EVERY RIFLE IS AN INDIVIDUAL AND SHOULD BE LOADED AS SUCH! Velocity ran just short of 4000 from a 24" barrel.

The little 55's group at least as well and possibly even better than the splended 70 grain Ballistic Tips at 100 yards in this gun, but the 70's seem to do better when yardage gets up over the 300 range. The heavier bullets clearly retain more energy as prairie dog hits attest. The downside for you is that they would also likely exit on a coyote every time.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4895 and Varget both work well in a varmint weight bbl 243 for me. I can get just over 400fps with the 55gr NBT. I have launched prarie dogs to great heights with these bullets but so far nothing larger has been available.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote