Find
Notify
Tools

Value of Pre 70 M70 300 H&H
 Login/Join

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Okay guys with Winchester insights:

My local shop just put a rifle as described, SN 212XXX on the rack. The SN indicates 1952 ish manufacture. The rifle is in a fairly weathered condition, lots of blueing worn off on barrel and a well worn stock with a thin crack front between teh second and third guard screws (forward). The bore looks dirty but sharp, crown is clean and muzzle shows sharp rifling. Has original black ventialated Win rubber pad, non-QD swivels and folding semi-buckhorn open sights. 26 inch barrel etc.

Price is $700.

I put $50 down on it to hold.

I have a few cellphone pictures and can get better quality pics ,but would have to email to someone as I am not smart enough to post pics on my own....

What say ye all?

Buy it and reblue/refinsish or pass?

It has weaver tip-off mounts and a US made 4x Redfield scope, but that is not important.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it you mean Pre 64 going by the date in the post, not the title.

What are you going to use it for ?

refurbish ?
hunting ?

Are you buying it because it's a Pre 64 or because it's a 300H&H ?

Do you like the calibre ?

If you like both, and price is reasonable,
then buy it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Oops! PRE-64 not 70- stupid fingers....
500N, yes, both. I envision a reblue and refinish and then NA hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then as long as you aren't buying it as a collector piece, the gun feels good in your hands, you like the calibre and the gun,
AND the price is OK for that type of thing in the US, then buy it.

I buy guns not in original condition but useable because I like the calibre and they don't come along every often so it's a case of grab one while you can.

On the subject of price, in the US I thought ORIGINAL / Very good condition Pre 64's had come down in price a fair bit, to around $1000 ?

I may be totally barking up the wrong tree here so correct me if I am wrong.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I'd suggest you move this thread to Medium bores where it belongs being a 30 cal.

You might also get a few more answers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very good price for the gun as described.

FYI: That pad is not original. They camw with steel buttplates.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oops! PRE-64 not 70- stupid fingers....

I love that excuse Andrew, can I use it? Big Grin

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 85 to 95% pre 64 mod. 70 in 300 H&H will fetch $1500 or a bit more any day..If the bore is clean without pits or rust then you made a hell of a deal, and if its not then I will still give you a nice gun in trade on it or buy it outright, so you can't lose.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42172 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the most desirable and one of the rarest of the Pre-64 calibers. The .300 H&H is imho the most versatile of the .300 magnums, the easiest to reload, accepts the heavier bullets better than any other .300 mag, has the slickest feeding, and is just a classic.

I prefer 200 gr spitzer boat tails, and have taken deer at long range with it. It's my favorite.

I owned a Pre-64 Win some years back, had it restocked to a classic English fit, and was very successfull with it. I just do not like the 3-position wing safety, so I sold it, for about 1500 US. I would think an excellent condition gun should bring the same.

Hope this helps, Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although they may seem rare, they are in the top 4 or 5 of numbers produced! 30-06, 243 are one and two. I can't recall the others. It is asteal in any event at that price. Magnum actions bring more than that!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote