THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Stevens ,mod.200, .223, .243, .270

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens ,mod.200, .223, .243, .270
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOM thumbFirst all three of these rifles were <MOA OUT OF THE BOX with el cheapo scopes.

• last week I gave the results of the .223. Won't bore you with a replay.
  • The .243 this week with two different 100gr. bullets and three different 80 gr. bullets achieved .MOA. with a load of 44gr. ac86 in Fc.cases, ignited with WLRM primers with bullets just touching the rifling.All but one of these bullets would not fire accurately out of my Ruger varmint rifle.
  • The .270 did it with Prvi Partizan 130gr commercial ammo. Don't have my new dies yet and I didn't want to bother my cousin. There was a 3 shot .4" group at 100 yards by my partner, John Waller. I also walked that far.

In my stash there now are 4 mod. 200s that shoot better than 1MOA. They all have rough triggers, just perfect to teach begginers how to hold target and squeeze. They are ,however a pain in the ass to me.

The ac 86 just continues to be a dream powder.I still have 20 pounds but i'm beggining to sweat it just a little.

With all the rifles I have , if I were to go deer hunting tommorrow I would carry the .270 Mod. 200 with the inexpensive Yugo 130gr ammo.

$279.00 for the rifle $9.00 for ammo. That's the kind of banging I understand. moonroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Does anyone make a trigger for it yet? I just might look into one of them.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    They are just Savage 110s so look that up in any catalog...

sharp shooters supply have some competition triggers that they sold pre AccuTrigger for sale right now...

Roge, you may want to check in on that....

I also completed my first order from Shaw on a 223 barrel for a Ruger 77... I was quoted 14 to 16 weeks!!!! boohoo

Well it will be worth it when it gets here... I also learned at the range today, don't push the 50 grain TNTS much with the 1 in 9 twist, or they will vaporize right about a foot outside of the barrel.... POOOOF!!!!

Too bad, as I really like that bullet for accuracy and explosive performance...

cheers
    seafire
    cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

sharp shooters supply have some competition triggers that they sold pre AccuTrigger for sale right now...

Roge, you may want to check in on that....seafire
    cheers

Timney has a desent trigger for about $65.00. I will ,however screw around and make what I have a little better and leave it at that. Hell, if everything was perfect what would I have to bitch about? Raised on military triggers conditioned me just right for the Stevens. claplove it roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The Stevens 200 is a hell of a rifle for the money. The trigger can be worked down to an acceptable level. Buying an aftermarket trigger and stock is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by DFC:
    Buying an aftermarket trigger and stock is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Why is gaining better trigger control on a very accurate rifle a bad idea? If you had a "RemRugchester" gun that was accurate, you'd not hesitate to put a better trigger in on a rifle you felt "looked better", why should it be a problem on the Stevens? I fail to see the logic of the double standard applied to the Savage/Stevens.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Why is gaining better trigger control on a very accurate rifle a bad idea? If you had a "RemRugchester" gun that was accurate, you'd not hesitate to put a better trigger in on a rifle you felt "looked better", why should it be a problem on the Stevens? I fail to see the logic of the double standard applied to the Savage/Stevens.

I agree, which is why I installed a Rifle Basix trigger in my Stevens 200 in .243 Win. Much lighter trigger pull and cleaner break, too. Well worth the $50 sale price at Sportsman's Warehouse, to go with my $259 rifle. And Accurate Data 86 gives great performance in the .243 Win with bullets from 70 gr to the 95 gr Ballistic Tip.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    ...100 yards ... I also walked that far.
    Good for you. The more you do it, the easier it will become.

quote:
    In my stash there now are 4 mod. 200s that shoot better than 1MOA. They all have rough triggers, ..
    Hey Roger, Seafire mentioned these use the same Trigger as the M110s.

When it is out of the stock, let me know if they still use a single wire bent into an " L " shape for a Trigger Spring.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Core:
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    Hey Roger, Seafire mentioned these use the same Trigger as the M110s. They do

When it is out of the stock, let me know if they still use a single wire bent into an " L " shape for a Trigger Spring.Yes but it is more of a return spring rather than adding much to the trigger pull.

beerroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    lenny,
    sharpshooter supply has a trigger for pre-accutrigger savage and mod.200 for $75.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roger I have the Rifle Basix trigger a very crisp trigger and mine is adjust under two pounds. But it's on a colony varmint gun not a regular hunting rig. But we'd hate to spoil you Roger you're a delight.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Jay,

I have had the pleasure of meeting Roger down in LA...heck of a nice guy... even let me meet a bunch of his shooting buddies that drive big yellow Hummers to the rifle range, and Lexuses etc...

Roger is a humble guy and drives a basic Ford Ranger....

But if you are ever down there, look him up and make sure you get to go to lunch with him at that Irish Pub restaurant he took me too.....

And Roger doesn't need NO ACCUTRIGGER... that would take away from his rough and ready outlook to life!

Some of you guys ought to get out and meet some of our fellow AR forum members.. I have met quite a few really really decent guys on here...

Roger was no exception...great guy!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of prof242
    posted Hide Post
    It took me only 15 minutes to get my grandson's Stevens 200 .25-06 trigger down to a nice 3 lbs. No, its not what I have on my varmint rifles, but for a hunting trigger, its great. And, you could mount a trigger shoe on it (which I tried) and it feels even better.

.395 Family Member
    DRSS, po' boy member
    Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Hey Roger, It has been a few years since I've been into a Savage trigger, but I believe it was a relatively simple design that is quite easy to work with.

If you want to change the "L-wire", take a 0.0001" capable Micrometer and measure the diameter. And measure the combined Leg Lengths.
    Then PM me with the measurements.

There is a good chance I have some thinner Stainless Spring Steel wire around here somewhere. If you are interested, you can bend a 90deg leg in a piece, trim it to length, polish the burrs off the ends and replace the current one in your rifle.

And that way you still have the Original Factory wire to put back in it any time you desire.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The Stevens Model 200 Rifle Triggers are indeed quite easy to work on. In fact there are instructions on another site on how to fine tune them (what places to stone / polish etc.). Yes the Stevens Model 200 Rifle uses the L shaped spring for the trigger tension.

On the Stevens Model 200 that I had I polished and honed per the instructions I found on the net. The Trigger Adjustment Article even included photos on how to and where to and how much to polish / stone.

When this was completed I then proceded to make a new Trigger Spring out of smaller diameter spring wire. With my custom trigger spring in place I have the adjustment screw turned in as much as possible (heaviest setting) and my trigger pull was still under 2 pounds so i put the original trigger spring back in. The end result was a super crisp trigger that breaks cleanly at 2 1/2 pounds.

I can't say enough about the Stevens Model 200 can forsee one in .270 Winchester calling my house home in the not to distant future.

Larry

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    saluteWhat a nice bunch of positive replies.

And Sea Fire there just ain't no way I can live up to the reputation you built for me. bewilderedroger

One of Us
    Picture of Jarrod
    posted Hide Post
    are they push feed or CRF?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    They are a push feed action. If memory serves me correctly the only Savages with Control Round Feed are the WSM.

Larry

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    And Sea Fire there just ain't no way I can live up to the reputation you built for me.

Awww sure ya can Roger......

If ya want me to dump on ya for a while so ya feel better, PM me.. lol

Kinda like the song, "I Got Friends in LOW Places".... we birds of a feather flock together...

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Glad to see this thread. I am not a Savage fan but for the price have been thinking of getting one in .223 or .22-250 as I want a .22 centerfire but don't want to spend alot on one.

Don Nelson
    Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    WinkWorked on the .223 trigger and honed her down to 3 1/2 to 4 pounds. Tried some different loads today that were OK but not totally great. Some were MOA some were a bit more.

The .270 functioned about as well even with it's horrendous trigger pull.

Probably will be stoneing triggers this coming week. thumbroger