THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone know the history of the 6.5x57?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know the history of the 6.5x57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know the history of the 6.5x57? Does it have any real advantage over the Swede? Does the case hold more powder? Does is feed better out of mauser actions already set up for 57mm cases? Thanks,
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
In my opinion there is not enough difference to not go with the 6.5x55. If you find an interesting rifle in it though why not? Components are harder to find, dies more expensive etc. I shoot a 6.5x55 as well as the rimmed version 6.5x57R.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, and sometimes it doesn't, it first emerged in 1893 or 1894, obviously with the 7x57 as its parent. Advantage would be the .47x" base size and easy to make cases. Dies are available and Zastava and its American inporter, whose name esacpes me, had some rifles in stock recently. Case capacity is the same, + or -, as 6.5x55 so ballistics should mirror the Swede.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my 6.5x57 i can use a bit more powder than i do in a 55 case. shows a velocity increase of about 100fps

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was called the 6.5 mauser at one time.
my die set is marked 6.5 X 257.
when I got the first rifle I just made my brass from 6mm Remington and started out with
6.5 X 55 data.
hornady has 6.5 mauser [6.5 X 57] data in their manual if you really wanna compare it to the 6.5 X55 data.
my latest one was built on a Japanese arisaka action [shrug] but it feeds perfectly and is accurate.

if I were looking at building a rifle I'd just go straight to the 6.5-06 and load as I seen fit.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I was considering this chambering but, like Lamar stated, it just made sense to go with the 6.5-06.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Got a Blaser barrel and RWS brass, haven't loaded it up yet. I heard some smack about RWS brass, we shall see.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 x 57 is a very old cartridge, believed to have been the design of Georg Luger who worked for Ludwig Loewe co and is known for the Luger pistol.

Thus not a "true" Mauser but the name was adopted as Mauser as was the parent 9.7x57 M88

The Original was listed in 1892 and then was dropped in 1900.

Datig's DWM book lists this as DWM case number 404 as a 6.5 Luger.

There is also a reference to a case number 459 which is listed in the DWM list as the 6.5 Persian ? The true Persian was a "short neck" 6.5

Under case number 404 A we see the 6.5x57 as we now know it and it makes its appearance in 1894 and again we see it listed as the 6.5 mm M/ 88 Luger Berlin.

The 6.5 x57 is not a necked down 7 x 57 as the 7x57 has a different parent case namely the Model 93 case.

There is a true Mauser 6.5 and it is the 6.5 short Mauser or 6.5 x 54 Mauser 0f 1894 ( not to be confused with the 6.5 x54 Mannlicher.

This is in effect a short Portuguese Mauser case DWM # 457- A of 1904 (the parent case for this is the #457 ) The case sequence of these two and the dates of appearance in the lists confusing because the 6.5 Short Mauser preceded the Portuguese Mauser yet the DWM book suggests that the 6.5 Short Mauser may have been a offshoot of the Portuguese ?????

The 6.5 Short Mauser a very pretty little round, looks like a rocket with a long sloping neck reminding one of a mini 8x68 or a 300 H&H but sadly it is now totally obsolete as DWM last loaded for it in 1972

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
The 6.5 x 57 is a very old cartridge, believed to have been the design of Georg Luger who worked for Ludwig Loewe co and is known for the Luger pistol.

Thus not a "true" Mauser but the name was adopted as Mauser as was the parent 9.7x57 M88

The Original was listed in 1892 and then was dropped in 1900.

Datig's DWM book lists this as DWM case number 404 as a 6.5 Luger.

There is also a reference to a case number 459 which is listed in the DWM list as the 6.5 Persian ? The true Persian was a "short neck" 6.5

Under case number 404 A we see the 6.5x57 as we now know it and it makes its appearance in 1894 and again we see it listed as the 6.5 mm M/ 88 Luger Berlin.

The 6.5 x57 is not a necked down 7 x 57 as the 7x57 has a different parent case namely the Model 93 case.

There is a true Mauser 6.5 and it is the 6.5 short Mauser or 6.5 x 54 Mauser 0f 1894 ( not to be confused with the 6.5 x54 Mannlicher.

This is in effect a short Portuguese Mauser case DWM # 457- A of 1904 (the parent case for this is the #457 ) The case sequence of these two and the dates of appearance in the lists confusing because the 6.5 Short Mauser preceded the Portuguese Mauser yet the DWM book suggests that the 6.5 Short Mauser may have been a offshoot of the Portuguese ?????

The 6.5 Short Mauser a very pretty little round, looks like a rocket with a long sloping neck reminding one of a mini 8x68 or a 300 H&H but sadly it is now totally obsolete as DWM last loaded for it in 1972

Alf, You knocked another one out of the park, as usual! Thanks again! I'm thinking of the perfect round for a small ring 98, and it seems to me that one of the old 6.5mm's would be perfect.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote